Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss My new favorite practice tool for under $1.00 in the General forums; well, i just go thru all the scales each day in the circle of fifths. you could try doing it: ...
    United States

Re: My new favorite practice tool for under $1.00

well, i just go thru all the scales each day in the circle of fifths. you could try doing it: c scale, then d, then e, etc.

or you could go chromatically

or go up the major scales using the starting notes of the blues scale

get creative!!

Mechanicsburg, PA

Personally, I like to pick a new starting pitch every day and use that as my basis. These two weeks, i think im going in order of whole tone... day 1 is C, then D, then E, F#, G#/Ab, Bb, then day 7 is the day to review maybe a key or two that didnt go so well in that sequence, then C#, Eb, F, G, A, B, and another day to review. (being that i practice each day, i can keep this up).

With each of these starting pitches, i do all my scales and such that i know. All the modes, pentatonics, the variations of aeolian (natural, harmonic, melodic), whole tone, diminished (whole-half and half-whole), bebop, super locrian, chromatic, blues, etc. So today was Bb... i did all the scales and arpegios i know starting on Bb.

I also try to find things to sightread in that key, etudes i know in that key, transpose to that key, or anything else (today) in the key of Bb. I usually take the first 3 or 4 lines of Moto Perpetuo and play it in the key of the day to get my fingers moving and to test my ear training abilities (or a tune like that).

I've done it for 3 weeks now, and ive found my whole technical ability just raises each time. I need to put it to a metronome now so i can keep tabs on speed and accuracy, as well as learn a new jazz chart in every key every 2 weeks.
    Blow your life through your horn

Piano User
    New York

Any system is better than no system, and you can take any system in the direction that works best for you.

I like the cards better, since I can set aside the ones I've already done and not keep throwing them into the mix. The likelihood of getting through all 12 in 12 days if every day you have all 12 to choose from is much smaller - probability really isnt' all that equal.

I assigned numbers for all the exercises in the Arban book, Clarke, Schlossberg and a few others. Then I pick a card for the day - I do exercises with that number - scales, intervals, tonguing, multiple tonguing, slurs, arpeggios, etc.

Of course, when I have something specific I'm working toward, I'm more likely to focus on exercises, etc. that have some particular relevance - related keys, related articulations, etc.

The most important thing is to plan what you want to accomplish each session and work toward a goal. Stay focused on the goal, and you will improve much more quickly.

"Conventional Wisdom" should not be applied to unconventional thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information