Quote Originally Posted by lawrencelaptop View Post
Hi guys,
New to this site I was just posting cause I think I need some help with a few things. I'm 15 and am taking my grade 8 next year, passed my grade 7 on the cornet with 143 on the ABRSM board.

Trying to play some of the pieces now, I really have committed to learning them and am practicing hour min each night which is all my schedule allows for atm. Problem is before this, a few months ago I could reach C's and D's (above the stave) with relative ease and yet now they just slip away! Can't reach them which is honestly frustrating when trying to play fanfare for the common man lol

Hope you can offer any tips to increase or just to regain my previous range. May just be lip overuse and I am resting it every now and then but idk :S

There are myriad reasons this might be happening. I would recommend the following:

-take a couple of days off. Make sure your embouchure is not sore and there are no cuts or problems with your mouth.

-if you don't already, then DO A STANDARD WARMUP every day! This should be about 10 minutes, start playing in the low or middle register of the instrument. Do some long tones, slurs, scales with rest in between to warm up your chops.

-pay attention to your breathing (this is where I suspect the problem really lies). Take some of the passages that you are having trouble with and play them down an octave. Make sure your breathing is correct and that you are relaxed. Slowly try to play them up where they are written. If you have trouble, did you notice your breathing faltering? Are you tensing or not getting a full breath? Are you taking in too much air and it's backing up on you?

-Spend some time each session working on long tones and lip slurs SLOWLY!!!