Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mystique vs. A Standard in the General forums; Great points M&C! Speaking of the WOW factor, my last two WOW factor experiences were on horns that were not ...
    Great points M&C!

Speaking of the WOW factor, my last two WOW factor experiences were on horns that were not really custom horns.

The latest WOW factor was on Paul Artola's ZueS G, although it wasn't with the stock tuning slide setup. However, when the .470 slide was in, that horn had amazing response all throughout the range of the horn. I can't remember at this point if it was a rounded, single radius slide or not, but the horn was definitely a "player" with that slide in.

Prior to that, I played a Conn - CV1 with a Red Brass bell owned by Eric Brewington. (Xenoman on the TH) FANTASTIC horn in my opinion. It too had a great blow and fast response, but it had a dark, smooth, mellow sound that would have made for a great jazz combo horn. Oddly enough, Eric no longer owns this horn. It was traded for a Lawler that as of yet, I have not had the opportunity to play, but I've been told is even better than the Conn.

So right there in those two horns, one had a WOW factor that would have made for a great section horn (the ZeuS) and the other had a WOW factor that would have made for an outstanding solo instrument. (the Conn)
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Forte User
    All good points.

Patrick you're right. Often the 'eccentric' choice doesn't fit in all situations. The Taylor is a fantastic horn that I'll use 90% of the time but sometimes it just not appropriate (it absolutely smokes in the small combo setting)

Introduce the Kanstul, very good horn and it fits anywhere. I'm lucky I have the choice.

Regards

Trevor

Pianissimo User
    I suppose I should have been clearer about the WOW thing. M and C is right when he said this is very different from person to person. My horn is a Schilke B1 and I think it plays well in all situations blending nicely with Quintet, Chamber Orchestra, and Big Band which I have used it for recently. I didn't mean it had that WOW factor because it sounded too different and couldn't blend.

For me it was how it felt wonderful to hold, balanced and light almost as if there was no instrument in front of me. The sound was exactly what I love - clear and brilliant with warm overtones. It was also very responsive as well. I loved it! The first time I played it it felt like it was an extension of myself and I felt at one with the instrument and I could just concentrate on the important aspect of playing music.

The point I was trying to make was that that is the mystique for me - not being deliberately different from the crowd but playing exactly what I want and if its different or the same as everyone else it doesn't matter to me.

I think it is important we feel our horns are special and however this comes about is fine, and varies from person to person whether it is for reasons like my own or the design/finish of an instrument etc.

Pianissimo User
    ....having said the above I am actually looking to buy a flugel this summer and if it a bit different from the crowd in looks/sound etc I will be happy as I suppose my criteria are different! I will still want it to have that special feeling when I play it etc but I would like it to look great and be a bit different too. I was thinking of trynig out the Kanstuls, Conn V1 and the new Eclipse (I like the look of the Svannah finish) and theTaylor which comes in a variety of finishes. Do you have any thoughts on these flugels?

I have yet to play a CV1 flugel, but I hear that they are outstanding. The aforementioned Eric Brewington traded a Yamaha YFH-2310 for a CV1 flugel. I had played his YFH-2310 and it was decent enough, but he says that there is just no comparisson between the two - but then again, when you look at the price difference, there shouldn't be.

Personally, I got a bit of a WOW factor from my Kanstul CC 925 Custom Class flugel - and for the price, it was a hands down winner. It has a nice easy blow, quick response, is very focused and has a smooth, silky, dark, warm sound. I'm told that the ZKT 1525 Signature is even better and of the Kanstuls is supposed to be THE flugel to get, but I can't imagine how it could play too much better than mine. I made the decision to "settle" on the Custom Class flugel because I just couldn't see much point in paying that much more for an instrument that I only double with from time to time, especially when mine plays very well. I really enjoy the rock-band ballads when I have the opportunity to use it.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Piano User
    M M,

I have an Eclipse Bb done in Savannah with gold accents. The light often plays tricks on the eyes with the finish. The scratched Savannah is really nice looking too. I'm sure the Savannah finish would really contribute to the darkness of the flugel sound.

A few years back I had a Kanstul flugel and it was an impressive horn. Great sound and a really mellow tone. The upper register was a bit tight but it sang out in the mid to low register. Definitely a horn worth looking into.

I haven't had the chance to play the Eclipse flugel yet. I'm stuck in Germany until my wife has our little girl. Less than two weeks to go!!!!!
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Pianissimo User
    Thanks Mike and Patrick. I have heard great things about the Kanstul and people seem to either like the CC or Signature best from Kanstul so I will be sure to try both of these. Lets see if I can find that " mystique" from a flugel! The Savannah finish does interest me - if you have any pics Mike can we have a look at them.

I play a Strad, and though it's not a unique trumpet, I like it a lot.

Why? It's better than me! It's not a limitation on my playing at all.

Personally, I like the way it looks. Ok, it's not a sleek slender brushed Eclipse, but it has a certain elegance and beauty.

When I was choosing it, the fact that it is a 'standard' in lots of ways was not a factor at all. I almost went for a Xeno, and almost a V1; I then picked my strad up and decided it was a keeper.

Now I need to stop thinking about better trumpets and actually do some work on the weakest link: me!

Pianissimo User
    What you are saying Jack makes sense to me as well. What you say about your Bach I think about my Schilke and when I play just enjoy the music and the sounds I am producing and the trumpet is definitely not at all the main consideration, probably because I have found the trumpet I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by JackD
    I play a Strad, and though it's not a unique trumpet, I like it a lot.
    YES it is! It is unique to you. You make it go. Actually the Bachs started the revolution with the Bach sound. Not a dark German sound, not a bright American sound. Somewhat the best of both. I really like Bach horns. They get a bum rap sometimes. Sure it may be a standard sound, but it got that way because of the sound. Bach has not frozen itself in time. They have come out with different bores, bells, and leadpipes. I still would like to play a Bach 43 with a 25LR leadpipe -- just because.

Now it may lack some mystique because most players have either played one, owned one and have heard on (how could you not). But it is unique because you are playing it! If you want it to be really unique, let me play it (being primarily a bone players, you may want to pass on that!)

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information