Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mystique vs. A Standard in the General forums; I don't like the idea of having a 'standard' silver strad. Never appealed to me. Like we're all saying...everyone else ...
    New Friend
    I don't like the idea of having a 'standard' silver strad. Never appealed to me. Like we're all saying...everyone else has one. I like the way my horn plays, that's enough for me. When I let someone try it, they always seem surprised at how well it plays, and they'd be even more surprised to know how much I payed for it.
    My aunt is coming up from FL with a 1950 Bach Mercedes for me to play while she's in China. How's that for unusual :) Don't know how it plays yet though. When I get it I'll be posting about it here for sure.

Bonnie

New Friend
    I think that the mystique of a horn is a very personal thing. I'm not saying that everyone should run around and play a $$$$ "boutique" horn, but I'm not saying that everyone should play a ML180-37S either. I've seen people play ratty, plating missing , bach horns that had a lot of mysique. I think character is a better word for it. Do you want to play a horn with character, or one that is the same old thing. Personally, I think a horn with stories is a cool thing. That is of course as long as those "stories" don't include massive bell crinkles.......
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Mouthpieces - Giddings and Webster David Hickman Signature
    Bob Reeves 42S

Piano User
    what, like dropping it as you're tripping over your podium????
    Jonathan Wright

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminRaider
    what, like dropping it as you're tripping over your podium????
    A good friend of mine is a brass repair tech and has his own shop. He hates working on "newer" horns. Everyone expects them to look like new when he is done. He has more than one crinkled bell story.

One professional I talked to felt that if a bell didn't have some dents removed, it just didn't sound right. He preferred repaired, even from a crinkle job, horns over new ones. Go figure.

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER

One professional I talked to felt that if a bell didn't have some dents removed, it just didn't sound right. He preferred repaired, even from a crinkle job, horns over new ones. Go figure.

Jim
    That's like me and Harmon mutes. To me, they just buzz better with a few dents in them.
    --Matt--

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information