Trumpet Discussion Discuss National Trumpet Comp. in the General forums; I just got back from the weekend events at the NTC. I must say Dr. Dennis Edelbrock has done another ...
    Mezzo Piano User

National Trumpet Comp.

I just got back from the weekend events at the NTC. I must say Dr. Dennis Edelbrock has done another great job!! I did not see any of the competition, however the other events where top notch. I warn you, this is a long post

The exhibits: About 8-10 stations with Doc and his new horns in another room. Many horns to play and toys to check out. I was the most impressed with the Yamaha table. Talking to Bob Malone about some of the new models in the works makes me want to start saving money now. I was able to play some of the new Xeno prototypes and a raw brass prototype of a "Chicago" Bb. Man they played nice. I was also very impressed with the 8310Z Shew Horn. I almost left the exhibits with a new one, but the promises of the new models made me want to wait. I was also impressed with the Shew flugel, very sweet sounding. The Chicago C trumpet played wonderfully, a rich full sound and a nice feel. Bob had some of the shorter slides at the show as well. If I made my living on the C horn I would have picked one up, but the two they had where for customers. I did however pick up a new 8445GS that I think will be just fine for me. I was surprised the silver plate version played with a richer sound than the laquer. I was over all most impressed with Yamaha, it was the only table that everything played excellently from the picc to the big horns. Plus many of the "big guys" are playing the Yamahas now and where around the booth.

Schilke was there and had some nice horns, including some in gold plate. They also had a S22C that played very well, it had a solid sterling silver bell. Seems likeSchilke is going to be doing some experimenting under the new ownership. Cliff Blackburn was a freindly as ever and had his whole line out. Dont know why, but they didnt seem to play as well as I remember. He had a Bb that was great, and the Eb/D had a huge sound, but the others...........ok. Fred Powell had his Trumpet Tech info along with a few horns, they played very nicely. I look forward to his developments. He was very kind and spoke at length about his plans. Of course Selmer/Conn had a table, but I didnt spend to much time there.

The guys at Dillons had a nice spread with many of their used horns. Good place to try alot of different horns. The Kanstuls played nice and they had some real nice schilkes. Good selection of Mouthpieces and other accesories as well.

Stus Music from Westminster had a few tables with a nice array of horns. I have been freinds with Larry for several years and have bought all of my horns from him. They dont get much better than Larry. My new Xeno C came from Stus table. I hung around to even help him out a little. If you need a horn give him a call, he is a great guy to work with. I must also say my wonderful fiance got me a wolfpak 2.5 case..........I need a minute..I'm getting emotional....

Atlantic Brass did a great job. group was well prepared and the trumpet players showed they could perform at such a venue. They performed at the exhibit area, which was kinda neat.

The Army Blues with Doc Severenson, Vince DiMartino and Phil Smith. HOLY CRAP!! First of all the blue sound good. Their selection of tunes for themslves left something to be desired, but they performed as the polished group they are. The trumpet section was tight and clean, dont know if it was the hal but I could have used more lead. When Vince came out the blues lit up. His sound and tone are amazing. The Doc, who has a sound that is amazing for a 20 something let alone a 70 something, played some of his tonight show stuff. Honestly, I think to only other guy who could compete with Doc's sound is Vince. These two showed what is possible with an instrument. Made me want to practice, esp. since Vince plays the horn I was looking at (8310Z). One of the best times was when Phil Smith came out and Doc asked him to play some excerpts. Speaking fo sound, Phil has one of the most lush tones ever. Doc joked with him some and then Phil played a beautiful version of "Amazing Grace". I was surprised when I saw the concert was almost two hours long. I hope I can achieve 1/2 the sound these guys have.

I think this was a great weekend for the trumpet world. I hope Dennis gains more and more support for this event. Soory for the long post.

New Friend
    This is long, too.

I wanted to add some of my own experiences - this was my first NTC as well as Doc's. I can tell you with certainty, that it won't be Doc's last. He had a terrific time!

To echo what miles71 said, Denny Edelbrock has started something that will surely be his legacy. Even when things got rough, Denny was unflappable.

It was great to see so many talented, young players. Denny has given them a very special vehicle that I hope more and more trumpet players will take advantage of.

Let me start with the amusing things:

*Vinnie diMartino was supposed to pick me up at my hotel this morning at 8:30am. Instead, he picked up Byron Autrey at another hotel & completely forgot about me. I stood in the drizzle for 30 minutes waiting for someone else to pick me up. Some volunteer driver, right? Oh. And then he volunteered to drive me to the airport tomorrow morning. 4:30am pickup. Uh, no thanks.

*Jens Lindemann kept coming back to our room because we had snacks. In fact, he ate Doc's Nutrageous candy bar....without asking Doc! THAT takes cojones, my friends. You can try his Destinos but had better think twice about eating his chocolate bars.

During one of Jens' hunts for food, he happened upon 3 gals from the Oklahoma City area who had decided to sight-read Buglers Holiday on the Destinos. After the shock/thrill/mortification (take your pick) of having Jens standing there, they got the benefit of a 15-minute lesson from Jens on the finer points of the proper execution of BH.

*My mom called me on my cell phone yesterday. She asked me worriedly, "Who's crying?" I said, "Crying? What crying?" My mom answered, " you hear it? Alot of crying!" I was standing in the hallway between the exhibit areas where everyone was trying out trumpets. What could she have possibly been referring to?

*Doc wondered whether or not NTC had a handshake similar to ITG. I told him I didn't think so. He tried the handshake on some people at NTC. It was funny but not for the same reasons. When he asked if he was saying something wrong, I said, "Well no...but most people aren't going to disagree with you when you say, 'hi...I'm Doc...I'm better than you.' He kind of smiled and then said, "Oh, ok. I got ya now.'

Unfortunately, because I had to man our Destino tables, I was unable to attend any of the masterclasses, but I heard they were all inspiring.

One of the highlights of the weekend for me was getting to hear Phil Smith's recital. Growing up in NY, I had the advantage of getting to hear the NY Phil on a regular basis. Not being remotely interested in trumpets, I had no idea that I was listening to greatness back then. I can't say much more than you already know about Phil's playing. I was dazed. Doc was all smiles. Phil Smith has a way of doing that to you in his quiet, unassuming manner.

Today's closing concert featured The Army Blues, Vinnie DiMartino, Doc and surprise guests - Phil Smith and Phil from Milwaukee (sorry - I didn't catch his last name) who won the Jazz competition.

Doc rarely lets any band but his own play the Tonight Show Band charts. The Army Blues did a terrific job on "What Is This Thing Called Love" and "Startdust". Even more impressive when you realize they only did one very brief rehearsal.

Great ensemble...terrific soloists (most notably their lead trombone who is a monster player) and superb musicians (we're going to be working again with their lead trumpet Liesel Whittaker in a month or so). Vinnie did a moving rendition of "America the Beautiful" and Phil from Milwaukee showed us all why he deserved to win. And Doc - well, what can I say without sounding biased. Doc was great. He's going to be 78 in July. His approach to life & music is something we should all aspire to!

Doc asked Phil that afternoon if he would come out and play "Amazing Grace" to which Phil politely agreed. It had to be one of the funniest and most unexpected moments Doc's had on stage in recent memory. Phil was such a great sport!

Like most, I expected Phil to play with the piano behind him. Before Phil could even play a note, Doc said (and I'll be paraphrasing everything) "Phil - put that flugel down and pick up that b-flat. I want you to play the opening to Mahler 5." Phil sort of chuckled in disbelief and then saw Doc was serious. So Phil obliged. You could hear a pin drop the packed hall was so quiet! Sure sent a shiver up my spine!

Mahler 5 was Doc's introduction to Mahler (Doc is a Mahler freak) so having Phil do this meant alot to Doc.

Then, as Phil went to pick up his flugel, Doc stopped him again. "Now, Phil - I've heard all different versions of Petruska this weekend. Play it the way it's SUPPOSED to be played." It was hilarious! Phil was such a good egg for playing along with Doc.

They eventually went on to play "Amazing Grace" - Phil playing the soulful melody on his flugel and then Doc chiming in. It was really special.

After that, Vinnie, Doc and Phil got up "Well, Git It!" and ripped our heads off. What a fun time.

Backstage, I walked into Doc's dressing room and said, "Wow! That was fun!" Doc threw his head back, laughed and then with a twinkle in his eye said, "You're right about that! Did you get a load of Phil? That Mahler!" And then...Doc went into Mahler and Phil. Guess you had to be there to understand what a thrill this afternoon was for Doc.

Before we left, Denny asked Doc who he would like to see at future NTC's. Without hesitation, he said, "Manny." So...hint...hint...Mr. Laureano!

All the way to the airport, he talked about the different people he met and the old friends he caught up with.

Again, I wanted to reiterate that NTC would not be around if not for the efforts of Dr. Dennis Edelbrock and his all-volunteer staff. If you can, get to NTC 2006 - it's an experience you won't forget or regret.

(BTW - miles71 - I think the sound issues were in part due to the hall and sound. Under normal concert conditions, our big band trumpets are all mic'd and turned up in the house for more "presence" - you can hear more separation that way.)
    Bernadette Hilario
    Doc Severinsen Orchestras

Mezzo Piano User
    Figured it was the hall. I know many of those guys in the blues and have been in rooms with the sections playing, they are some of the best in the US. The Lead bone player is Matt Neiss, the guy doing the soloing on bone was Harry Waters.

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Thank you for that great report, Bernadette. Not all of us are in a position to be able to attend some (most?... all?) of these events and it is always a very pleasant surprise to hear an objective report from someone who was actually there. (Might even drag a few more out to attend the next one!). Right now I can't wait for some of the sound clips and photos to get put up on the NTC website.

Thread Information