Trumpet Discussion Discuss Neck expanding while playing in the General forums; Manny, Thanks so much for your advise on keeping the jaw forward using TOO and relaxing the abs to stop ...
    New Friend
    Austin Texas

Neck expanding while playing

Thanks so much for your advise on keeping the jaw forward using TOO and relaxing the abs to stop vocalization. I have a new question. For many years while I was an active player my neck would expand no matter what note I played. Only one teacher made anything out of this and his name was Manny Kline. He said that until I can stop the neck from expanding, I would not be able to play confortably. As a come back player, hear I go again. Neck expanding and some tendency to black out or get dizzy on upper notes. How do you feel about this neck expansion? I see a number of good player's neck expand when playing, but I know that does not mean it is a good thing.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Utimate User

There may be a variety of reasons as to why the neck puffing happens and whether that's a real problem may be difficult to tell. Neck puffing is not neccesarily a big deal but there are extremes to everything, no? There is a player who ocasionally posts here whose neck puffs but it has no deleterious effects on his playing, at least that I've heard and I've known this gent for a very long time.

As to the blackouts, that happens when you clamp down during loud high playing and essentially you cut off the air supply to the brain like someone was choking you. You have to establish a pattern where the only thing between you and the mouthpiece is, well... nothing.

The horn creates resistance, right? I mean, if you you blow without a trumpet at your face there's little resistance except for if you purse your lips. You have to get rid of any resistance you are creating with your body because the horn creates resistance or impedance all by itself. If you add more impedance you're going to make the lips work harder. Instead of sighing into the horn you're squeezing air into it and that's bad.

Sigh into the horn (in all registers) and let the horn create the resistance, don't YOU go creating it!

Thread Information