Trumpet Discussion Discuss Need help with turns in the General forums; Okay, so im a sophomore in high school and about 2 weeks ago i picked up Hummel (Rondo) and its ...
    New Friend

Need help with turns

Okay, so im a sophomore in high school and about 2 weeks ago i picked up Hummel (Rondo) and its been going smoothly until i had an after school practice with my director. I found out I've been doing the section with a mess of turns completely wrong..I really never learned the concept of how to do a turn and my director didn't make it very clear.

What I need help with is maybe a video tutorial on how to do them or just a basic run through...I've listened to Wynton's version plenty of times..but he just makes it look easy and I really can't pick up what hes really doing.

Re: Need help with turns

You can do full turns or mordants. I choose to do mordants, and it would just go C-D-C. The Arban book has many, many pages on ornaments.

And don't take it too fast. It doesn't have to go near the speed that Wynton takes it at on his great performances CD.

Forte User
    Brisbane, Australia

I think it's a little hard to explain without hearing it. See if you can find a recording online, of the piece you are working on. Also think of yourself as a harpsichord, I think that's where this embellishment started if I remember right. :)

I've looked them up. If this helps, which it might, remember, key signature has nothing to do with turns. For the note you're starting on, it is in the key of that. For example, if you start on a A, you're in the key of A, same goes for any other note, even if you're key signature says otherweise. Secondly, start on the note the turn starts on, then quickly play a note above that (remember, the next note of what the scale would be what note you start on, for instance, if starting on B flat, go up to C, regaurdless of key signature you are in) after that go back to the note you started on, then go down one scale note, (starting on a B-flat you would hold it, go up to a C, back to the B flat then down to an A, then back to the B-flat to finish). If you started on a C (regaurdless of the key signature) you would hold it, go up to a D, back to the C, down to a B natural, then back to the C again.

As for the rythm, I'm not sure if there is any particular rule, just the director's/composer's preference, or your's if you're doing a solo. If what I've said is wrong, that means the source I looked it up was wrong, but I doubt that. I hope this helps. By the way, I'm also a sophomore in highschool, and I too just learned this, so it's fresh in my mind.

Thread Information