Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By trumpetsplus
  • 2 Post By fraserhutch
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Need Ideas for Warm-ups and Excersizes in the General forums; I'm Section Leader of my High Schools Marching Band and Jazz Band and I need help on what I should ...
    New Friend

Cool Need Ideas for Warm-ups and Excersizes

I'm Section Leader of my High Schools Marching Band and Jazz Band and I need help on what I should use as Warm ups for Myself and My Section. Also Any exercises that can help me... I've been told by peers, my director, and Clinicians at Festivals that my tone is above average but i need to work on my impact and on consistency Any tip will be AMAZING!!

South Salem, NY

Re: Need Ideas for Warm-ups and Excersizes

I have a short one called reflections - email me and I will send you a copy
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

I favor select Schlossberg exercises for warmups, particularly stressing flexibility with lip slurs and working through the 7 valve combinations. For section warmups, pull out part of Schlossberg #11 or #11a - all had better be able to handle it. Might also consider a chromatic variation of Schlossberg #36, even push the tempo a bit.

Whatever you choose, I definitely suggest stressing good intonation and attack to the section - teach them that listening to each other is also a skill.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

San Pedro

I think you will find Claude Gordon has some great ones too in his Systematic Approach
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Pianissimo User
    Franklin, Pa

I just got some free,printable warm-up exercises from Ken Saul's webite( he invented Ultra Pure Valve oil) He uses variations from Clarke, Arban,etc. Its a great warm-up for me, and maybe you might check it out. Just my 2 cents........

Novato, CA, USA

I like James Stamp & Michael Davis 15/20 minute Warmup when I have time to warmup.
    tobylou8 and coolerdave like this.
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

Piano User
    Wiltshire, UK

I was playing Vizzutti's concepts warm up which was good but my teacher got me to start by playing a middle C at FF slur to a bottom C at PPP and go chromatically down to A doing the same, then I would do vizzuttis warm up.

Now my teacher has me use Vizzutti's warm up from his 1st methord book, MP buzzing, then bottom C to bottom F tounging things, then his long notes on a dominent 7th etc

there are many ways to warm up, some prefer warming up from the middle other prefer from the bottom, Mr Schilkie prefered the top! his 1st note of the day was always a top C!

whatever way you go make sure it lasts 15-20 minutes and then take a break, make sure you do long notes, short notes, tounging practice, and low register slurs, the warm up so there to loosen you up ready for whatever your about to do!

Mezzo Forte User

I use one of Eric Bolvins Air Breath Control exercises as a warm up everyday. Evidently it is a reduction of Claude Gordon's technique training, more for amateurs, but it seems to be just enough, and they start off pretty easy.

Huntsville, Texas

Try mixing up a series of several books. If you take trumpet seriously, you NEED an Arban book in my opinion, it has most things you'll ever need. The first Stamp flow studies are just right to start off on. Chicowitz is also a very good flow study to get the chops working. Also, as far as Technique books go, the Brass and Breathing Gym are phenomenal.

Even though Mr Schilke started by playing high, remember he was a veteran player. In high school it is essential that you do not start on a high warm up, this can lead to bad vibrations and serious muscle tearing. Start comfortable, like middle C and do the Stamp all the way to pedal F. Then from there work slowly back up all the way to the top, then next note above the highest note you can play.IMHO you cannot truly play a double G unless you have a pedal F

Last edited by tobylou8; 10-26-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Thread Information