Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Needs loads of help in the General forums; Hello all, I am a junior Tuba Performance major looking to learn the trumpet. My issue is that all of ...
    New Friend

Needs loads of help

Hello all, I am a junior Tuba Performance major looking to learn the trumpet. My issue is that all of the beginner method books, ect. I have found are all for people beginning music, not just trumpet. Since I play the tuba I already know the fingering patterns, rhythm, how to read music... So I don't need a method book teaching me those things, I need one teaching me how to play the trumpet. Right now I'm just playing long tones from Middle C and down. Any suggestions? Also, I'm practicing in my house with my house mates, and they don't appreciate my shitty playing, so I'm playing with a Harmon mute in at all times. Will this be crippling to my playing?

Also, I borrowed a trumpet from a friend, but the mouthpiece that is comes with is unidentifiable, and therefore I don't want to use it. What should I get to start? I've read 7C to 1C, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I don't want to give myself the crutch of the 7C, but I probably won't be able to even make noise on a 1C... Any recommendations? I have next to no guidance on this, so I will be putting up pictures on my embouchure shortly for the masses to look at, and tell me if I need to fix anything. Thanks a lot for the help.

Pianissimo User
    Redlands, CA

Re: Needs loads of help

My advice would be to humble yourself a little and get with a teacher for a few lessons. It's a different instrument and the only way you can really learn the nuances is to learn from a player.

I'm going to guess that switching back and forth from a tuba to a trumpet won't be easy. Unless I misunderstood, I'm assuming you intend to continue playing the tuba?

Anyway, good luck!

1953 Getzen 90 Deluxe
    1954 Getzen 90 Deluxe
    1967 Conn Victor 5A Short Cornet
    1974 Olds Superstar 2
    1978 Reynolds Medalist
    2010 Carol CTR-506 (L)

Polson, MT

Get yourself an Arban's and a tutor.
    1952 Holton Revelation 48 w/ Stork Studio Master VM, Wick 4
    1975 Bach Stradivarius 182 "flugelhorn", Bach 7fl
    1930 Holton Llewellyn, Heim 1
    1990 Bach Stradivarius 180 with 37 bell, 7 leadpipe, Wick 4
    Early 1900s Jaubert Eb peckhorn, cheap Lyle mp
    Early '60s Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Copra Temp
    Olds Ambassador cornet in pieces.
    Kudu Shofar.

Piano User
    Gold Coast - 805

I totally agree that a TEACHER if at all possible would be the best bet.

At least to get you going correctly so you can avoid all the mistakes some of us here made when we first learned.

As for your mouthpeice? This will be a personnel thing that will come to you in time, there is nothing wrong with a 7C.
    I did my mouthpeice safari a bit and before I got too involved I settled for a Bach 5C middle of the range mouthpeice, my reason was more a tonality thing.

There are some great videos the net I would do a search.

As for a mute? I practice on a Silent Brass system at lunch which seems to do the job, if you do go that route get better ear phones.

Best bet though? TEACHER !

Good Luck and welcome to the Trumpet side of things.

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by LuolDengForMVP View Post
    Hello all, I am a junior Tuba Performance major looking to learn the trumpet...
    Why not grab a trumpet performance major or a trumpet teacher and get some pointers?

Any one-on-one direction/advice you get will be worth more that you'll get from the web, particularly at your level.

Teacher, Arbans, visit this website for mpc info:

New Page 1

This is a good website that will help you get close to hitting the mark based on you physiology. Trumpet mpc's are available in an infinite number of configurations, so this can help you avoid what we affectionately call a "safari". Happy hunting.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Pianissimo User

In looking at your post you said you were a performance major,which suggests to me your in college.
    If so you might want to contact the Trumpet Teachers at your school and ask them for advice.

New York State USA

Nick Drozdoff :: Home --he's also on TM as NickD I believe.
    anyways, has many videos on the net, and plays everything brass from Tuba to trumpet --- you can learn stuff there.

and relax - pick a 3C mpc and you'll be fine till you listen to too many others

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

A teacher and Arbans as others have said, I'll add my endorsement. A 7C (or equivalent) mouthpiece is normally what most trumpeters start with, but I'm going to be a stickler and say any brand other than Bach, the reason being that many find it bites due to the formation of its inner rim.

You may not know of me, but I'll reiterate that I have not played anything since July 2008 due to major dental and health issues, but now at age 74 I've some experience with the ability (but not present capability) to play all the brass horns from piccolo trumpet down to Tuba/Sousaphone. Normally I once doubled on cornet/trumpet and trombone/euphonium.

When you mention middle C and down I'm thinking B in the space below and A on the line below, such A being the top line of the bass (F) clef. Certainly, this isn't the direction to the normal range of a trumpet as is primarily in the treble (G) clef and for some aways above in the ledger notes.

To there is difference in fingering between the tuba and trumpet, but over the years I find such difference compares to driving two different brands of vehicles ... as require familairity with where the controls of each are located and then knowing this it all becomes normal in feeling.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 11-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.

If you are a tuba major, you have most of the correct tools already developed. Depending where you want to go with the trumpet will determine how much outside help you need.

My suggestion is to find an attractive trumpet major and play duets. That type of one on one will get you the necessary comments that you need to stay on track.

If the 7C works, there is nothing wrong with it. My students start with that piece and only if we run into issues where we clearly see that something else would offer an advantage, do we explore that route.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information