Trumpet Discussion Discuss New embouchure pain--dental related? in the General forums; As I've been practicing this week (after a few weeks away), I'm getting pain on the inside lower lip--especially in ...
    New Friend
    Mt. Vernon, OH

New embouchure pain--dental related?

As I've been practicing this week (after a few weeks away), I'm getting pain on the inside lower lip--especially in the higher range--that I've never experienced before. Over the years, my dentist and I have noticed a slow, gradual crowding toward the front on my bottom teeth that I wondered whether they might affect my playing someday, and now I'm wondering if that day is finally here. It feels like the bottom front teeth are digging in to the flesh of the inner lower lip when I play above the staff. I don't think I'm applying any more mouthpiece pressure than I ever have before.

I'm an experienced player in my 40s with years of training, but I've never run into this before. Has anyone else? If you have any advice you'd be willing to share on how to overcome this new problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Re: New embouchure pain--dental related?

Without seeing you play it is difficult to give a good diagnosis, however it sounds like a pressure problem especially if in the upper register.

In my experience pressure creeps in when there is a lack of sufficient air support and excessive chop tension.

One method to try is using a lower grip with the left hand and let the right pinkie float, not in the ring.

Regards, Stuart.

Thread Information