Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jappe
Trumpet Discussion Discuss New Embouchure trial in the General forums; Hello, I have been playing with the whole Embouchure idea, not buzzing on the mouthpiece as I blow etc as ...
    Piano User

New Embouchure trial

I have been playing with the whole Embouchure idea, not buzzing on the mouthpiece as I blow etc as I heard you are too tight... (why on earth do all teachers/conservatoriums say buzz on mouthpiece for?)

So anyway, here is my 'new trial'.

I am pretty much limited to the Middle C now which is a big drop from top line F/G above, but I can say or at least 'describe' the feeling.

In the sides of my jaw, where the skin creases (corner of lips) I get tired right in there, like I been chewing too much food. My lips feel great, like they are not really doing any work but all around my mouth now seems to get tired which is the opposite to how it felt before where my Lips would get all dead and mouth feels strong/relaxed as though I did no work and wondering why on earth my lips are dead when I feel fine elsewhere.

I also felt the Middle C blow extremely 'open' or easy. Too describe this... which er, heh... uhm, well basically it feels like my low C. It felt like air was rushing out of the middle of my lips and out of my stomach, as though it was just 'free' to blow which it was not before. Sometimes I feel it feels a little on the 'tight' side, so I now consciously in a very minor way, seem to release or open mouth (the center part not biting) and I feel the air rush through very easily and the sound gets 'larger', more open sounding, has more ring to it than before.

I do need to control it obviously as I do hear the sound drop as though im perhaps 'too loose'?

But anyway, general observation, am I now actually on the correct road?

Also, a know everything Brother of mine told me to practice with a tuner and play long tones. I did that, every single note is out of tune.

One note sharp, one flat, etc.

I am not sure how to determine whether its tuning slide or lips because with lips when I'm slightly sharp, I can do one of two things. Pull slide out to drop pitch or release some tension in lips to lower pitch. How is one to determine whats right/wrong?

When I played all 'locked in' I'm sharp/flat all the way. So to go slightly looser, it feels like I'm not actually locked in but it drops the pitch down where its meant to be, but then the next note needs to go not as loose and so forth, so its all over the place.

Any suggestions on this? Or does trumpet playing to a tuner not work?

Antwerp, Belgium

Re: New Embouchure trial

Check out this youtube channel. It has been (and still is) very helpfull to me. I also was putting my embouchure wrong over the years.

How to Form a Trumpet Embouchure - Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porter - YouTube
    Sethoflagos likes this.
    Stomvi Bb Master Gold
    Bach Strad ML mod37

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

The notes using the first and third valve fingering or with all pressed down should read sharp on the tuner. We use the adjustable third side to compensate for these. If the open tones are in tune this is a very good sign. Sorry I can't watch your video.

Have fun and keep trying!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Pianissimo User

Your video looks very good to me. The problem with looking at someone play though is that so much of what produces a good sound can't be seen from the outside. Your throat opening, your teeth, jaw position, etc. all play an important role. You look relaxed in the video which is good. Don't forget the importance of tongue position as you play. Use Taw for the lower notes, Too in the middle notes, and Tee for the higher. Arching the tongue higher in the center will cause the front of the tongue to raise a little producing more focused air-stream. Similar to whistling... The more focused the stream the less lip mass we excite and the higher we play.

Keep at it and you will succeed.
    I used to play a Jet-Tone, but now I've gone Bach,

Trumpet - Benge (MLP bore)
    Flugelhorn - Schilke 1040
    Bass - Ibanez SR755

Lancaster, PA

A big 'yup, that's it' to Jappe's suggestion. Charlie Porter's video on setting the embouchure is spot on. Pay attention to everything he says including all the books and notions on embouchure formation. As a comeback player I knew I needed to change my setup. A year ago I saw and followed everything he suggested and have not had a problem since. Give it six months before you make a decision about it as everything new feels 'wrong' but stay with it.

Now when I need a self check I put my lips together as saying "m.m.m.m.", set my tongue in the proper position, take a big breath and blow. Lips aligned - say mmmmm - keep the red off the rim and I'm off. It's way too simple for many folks to accept.

Tuners are perfect. People are not, chops are not, trumpets are not. So playing too much in front of a tuner will make you crazy. They are essential for knowing where the pitches are for you and your horn and your playing but like I said, they will make you crazy if you use them too much. That's just my thought. I play in a band whereby the clarinet player gives the tuning note for the night and it is always almost a quarter tone (25 cents) too low, I've checked him. Now to I play perfectly to the tuner or do I play with the band, ensemble, or other player if it's a duet. Think about that a little bit.

Stay with the good, basic chops set up a-la Charlie Porter and the other things you will learn about quickly enough. Feel free to PM me for a full description of what I mean by 'the other things'. You will do fine and have fun
    Absence of proof is not proof of absence; mankind's greatest power lies in belief, textured with experience limited only by ones willingness to dream.

2012 Getzen Custom 3051
    1986 Yamaha YTR 6340
    1976 Bach Strad
    1965-66 Selmer K-modified
    1951 King SilverSonic
    1975 Getzen Eterna flugel

Thread Information