Trumpet Discussion Discuss New finish for Bach Flugel....... in the General forums; Hello all, I have a laquer Bach model 183 Flugel on the way and I would really like a different ...
    Pianissimo User

New finish for Bach Flugel.......

Hello all,

I have a laquer Bach model 183 Flugel on the way and I would really like a different finish on it. I was thinking maybe a scratch lacquer or maybe a matte finish. My question is, are there any reputable people who would do this at a reasonable cost in the US?? Also, can it be done?? As far as I know the lacquer would just have to be removed and then relacquered afterwards. Anyway, if anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Jon

Fortissimo User
    Kanstul.

Pianissimo User
    Well thanks for your elaborate and well thought out response. :) I was thinking the same thing but the wait times for Kanstul of late seem to be off the charts. Also, they do not offer bead blasting or matte finishes, just scratch am I correct?? I am leaning this direction but I need to see what else is out there!! Thanks for the reply.....

Jon

Fortissimo User
    John, I thought I recalled somewhere that they (Kanstul) did offer beadblasting or scratch... but I could be wrong on that.

I think that the recent popularity of custom finishes (read "any matte/bright combo") is pretty much going to stretch out any lead times. I would be a bit careful about scratch or bead blast now that I've got one and had a chance to to consider the pros and cons.

On the good side, it sure looks different. This could also be a negative if you are in a situation where esthetics dictate that the section "have a common appearance". On the negative side, even a fingernail seems like it can put a tiny "scratch" into the surface and "oil marks" really need to be washed off: they can't be just "rubbed off" like they can from a polished surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsall
    On the negative side, even a fingernail seems like it can put a tiny "scratch" into the surface and "oil marks" really need to be washed off: they can't be just "rubbed off" like they can from a polished surface.
    The scratched finishes that are lacquered from Kanstul are immaculate and very easy to clean. Simply wipe them down. Different story if you want raw brass of course.

As for the sections looking the same? I guess I have never encountered that and I play a silver plated horn with a gold wash bell and gold trim. I stand out all the time. Nobody has ever said to me, "don't you have a lacquered brass horn?"

Now if you are in a Brass Band, or a Marching Band, or a Drum and Bugle Corps, that might be different. The big problem with "sticking out" a bit is that some people figure you have a fancy horn so you can play like Maynard. Ha!

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Thread Information