Trumpet Discussion Discuss New player, technique question in the General forums; Hi everyone, I have been interested in learning trumpet for a while now and picked one up off of craigslist ...
    New Friend

New player, technique question

Hi everyone, I have been interested in learning trumpet for a while now and picked one up off of craigslist today for $50 (16B Conn). Anyway I got it home and started playing around with it. I started noticing I was having a very difficult time keeping a steady note, but if I put the mouth piece slightly to the side of the center of my lips I have a much easier time playing pitches steady. I suspect this may be because I have some type of soft scar tissue bump or something in the center of the inside of my upper lip from when I fell of a bike as a kid.

So my question is, could this bump on the inside of my lip be making it difficult to play even/steady notes, or is that the nature of the instrument? Am I heading towards developing some bad playing habits if play off center a little?

Other than that, I'm having fun trying to play (emphasis on 'trying', haha).

Bostonish & San Francisco

Re: New player, technique question

I'd take yourself to someone (in person) who knows how to play (preferably a professional teacher) and ask them to show you how to start out. It'll help out a lot, and possibly prevent a lot of problems down the road.
    Its hard helping people over the internet with problems like the one you suggest

oh, and welcome to trumpet playing trumpetmaster
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Banned Piano User

Re: New player, technique question

Many famous trumpet players have played with mouthpiece to one side or another due to lip scars or due to abnormal tooth formations,
    so that is nothing to worry about as long as you have a firm foundation for the mouthpiece in that position.

For example, Maynard Ferguson played to the right of center.
    Look at the photo that is about 2/3 of the way down the Web page next to the poster's name "YutakaTsutsumi" at

An uncontrollable vibrato can become a serious habit that is exteremely difficult to break, so you should get it under control as soon as possible.

Thread Information