Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss New to playing the trumpet! in the General forums; Welcome aboard Martin....
    New York City

Re: New to playing the trumpet!

Welcome aboard Martin.
    It's the player, Not the horn that makes music.

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Welcome to the trumpet! I also was an adult beginner, it is no picnic but can be very satisfying. If I can give you any advice, it would probably go like this:
    Get a teacher, they are important at all stages of development but especially the very beginning. Bad habits are easily formed and tough to kill.
    Be patient, it takes a long time to sound decent.
    Do not engage in fights with the horn/yourself, always a loosing proposition. Some days are not good; take each day in stride and do with what you get that day, trying to force things to happen for me has always proved to be detrimental.
    Always try to play relaxed. The elastic recoil of the chest, when filled up with as big a breath as you can take, is enough to produce most of the notes you'll ever use, even some surprisingly high ones. Blowing hard and air support are not the same thing.
    Play tunes, learn them so you don't need the written music, play them with as much expression as you can, even to the point of overdoing it.
    Start playing with others as soon as you can.
    Do not pay too much attention to the stuff you'll see on the internet, methods promising fantastic results, exotic concepts etc, etc.
    Every time you take the horn, think of how lucky you are to be able to do this and enjoy the moment.

I'm sure other will have plenty of other suggestions. Enjoy.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

New Friend
    Manchester, UK

You guys are fantastic! Thanks guys for all of the support, tips and advice! Much appreciated...and it's nice to feel welcomed!

Greensboro, NC

Be sure and find a real trumpet teacher. The local 1st chair in the school or community band doesn't have the training or experience. They just as easily pass on their own bad habits. A teacher such as myself who enjoys working with adult beginners. Trust me if you want to really learn how to play find a teacher. You need to be in a situation where you can see and hear each other play. With pout a teacher you can have fun just fooling around with it. I read post here all the time from players who have taught themselves show to play and they have long term problems that they struggle with. A good teacher could have helped them without a whole lot of problems.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

New Friend
    Manchester, UK

I have my first lesson tomorrow afternoon...I bought my trumpet this week but have not really done very much with it because I am aware that you can start picking up bad I'm wanting to really start learning tomorrow! I have blown a few notes out (C, D, E and F) but the tone is a little scratchy at times! But I really want my teacher to show me how to blow properly and start me off on the right footing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information