Trumpet Discussion Discuss New self learner has many questions in the General forums; Hey gang... I just found about Trumpet master and I have a question. I have had my trumpet for about ...
    New Friend

New self learner has many questions

Hey gang...

I just found about Trumpet master and I have a question. I have had my trumpet for about 25 years... new... never played a single song on it. So here I am in my 30s wanting to play some jazz... its a long way but I want to learn it or sell it... or forget it... ( rather learn my horn)

Anyway, whats the difference between the Trumpet, flugel horn and cornet and is any one easier to learn or sound better than another.

I have a 7c mouth piece, it seems small for an adult, and hard to buzz at times. Mouth gets tired quick and its frustrating... any suggestions ? remember I got this horn in 5th grade...

Any suggestions for a self learner ?

John

Piano User
    john:

i know how you feel. i started teaching myself in the 7th grade...on an old pan-american pea-shooter. i'll never forget when i finally figured out how to tongue a year later....Bb was always fingered 1,2,3,....etc. our school statred band when i was 9th grade...things got better.
    for you, i'd say a 7c is ok right now, but you might want to go a little bigger soon...don't mash on the lips..keep the corners of the mouth firm & the center a bit 'supple'....no reason to strain anything...stay relaxed and use a big breath.
    trumpets have a cylindrical bore, cornets have a conical bore, (flugels are 'big cornets')..some feel cornets respond a little easier because of that.
    i suggest you get a couple of the easy sigmund hering trumpet books for a good reading start.
    i'll let others offer their ideas now.....

dj

Fortissimo User
    John, Hi there and welcome to the site. I just saw your post this morning about the difference between the different horns. I remember reading someone's post about the difference between trumpet and cornet as far as playing is concerned. Their take on it was that the trumpet with it's more "cylindrical" tubing tends to slot a bit harder and require a more precise embouchure to mproduce "nice" notes while the cornet has a softer sound and a "blat" or "spleeah" isn't quite as obnoxious as it would be on trumpet. I play all three and have to agree with this take. The flugelhorn has very low impedance compared with the other two ("impedance" is equivalent to "resistance" but has a different connotation to an engineer).

We won't get into that here. If you check out the "comebacker" forum there is some stuff in there but I haven't yet found the time to discuss my personal experiences with having all three horn types to begin on. I'll be doing that fairly soon now that you have asked about it. I believe that like a varied workout, it is advantageous to have at least a trumpet and cornet around... you learn different things from each "type".

I think that your very FIRST action should be to find yourself a teacher for at least ONE, if not a half dozen 1/2 or 3/4 hour lessons spread about a week apart. The reason is that if you've had a horn for that length of time, you probably have developed some funny ideas about how to make the metal monster work. It doesn't have to be a "professional teacher"; some of the universities with a music program use what is known as "student teachers" (these are folk who already have a music degree and know their way around the horn). Before anyone jumps on me.. I realize that a student teacher is unlikely to have fully developed ideas about teaching OR playing... but they need to get experience too, after all, and they CAN play a lot better than someone who cannot! The bonus is that the cost is usually about 1/2 of what a fully degreed or tenured "professional" will be. Of course, if money is not a SERIOUS object, the serious teacher IS the way to go.

It's not time to worry about your horn NOR your mouthpiece yet. With the exception of most orchestral players and some very VERY strong individuals in other genres, I think it's probably safe to say that most of them began learning on a 7C. OK...but they were kids back then...now they are bigger.....I'm an adult...I'm bigger. Get the "size" issue out of your head right now. If you put a 7C beside a 3C on the desk, who can tell the difference? And it may surprise you to find out that a great number of those pros have slowly gravitated back towards the smaller size. In any case, a 7C isn't necessarily SMALLER than a 3C.. they vary a bit in depth of the cup, backbore, etc. but are otherwise about the same diameter.

Hey... and you've come to the right place to discuss your wishes to learn to play that thing! There are many great people around here to the extent that I've stopped reading three out of the other four trumpet websites I used to go to.

My "credentials"? I picked up my first trumpet (and first musical instrument) at age 50. It can be done and it's a blast!

Piano User
    I'd second much of what Tootsall said---especially the teacher part. You can learn so much from a good teacher that you won't learn on your own.

I do disagree about the mouthpiece issue. I seriously began playing/practicing again about six years ago, and all that I had was a Bach 7C. I hated that mouthpiece! My chops were wore out after an hour of working with it. Finally, I visited several big music stores in the area and tried close to thirty mouthpieces. I wound up with a Schilke 15a4a and I've never looked back. I have played for as long as three hours with that mouthpiece and my chops aren't wiped out. So, experiment and find the mouthpiece for you.

As for the horn, don't worry about it for now. If it's easy to blow and sounds decent, just use it for a few years. As for cornet vs trumpet--yes there is a difference, but you're not going to notice it until you start playing with other horns.

Good luck and get busy practicing!

Bill
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

Thread Information