Trumpet Discussion Discuss new trumpet in the General forums; once christmas is out the way I plan on buying a new trumpet, my current one being an odyssey, which ...
    New Friend

new trumpet

once christmas is out the way I plan on buying a new trumpet, my current one being an odyssey, which is also slightly damaged as I left it on top of the car roof and forgot to put it inside (you can guess the rest lol). I dont think it is that bad, but it has been the only one i have ever played. will something a bit more decent make a big difference? what shall I go for?

also I have only ever used a 7c mouthpiece, my range is up to about e above third space c (been playing around 5 months) may something else be more suitable?

I have about 150-200 great british pounds to spend, and dont mind buying second hand

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: new trumpet

I'm in the US and I don't know what that amount will buy in the UK but if you browse this forum, you will find many threads on this topic. Most of them come to the conclusion that you must play a bunch of trumpets before you can recognize one that works well for you. So, locate some stores or other sources of used instruments (DO NOT buy a cheap asian import - it will be grief for you) and spend some time playing them. If your Odyssey is still playable, continue to use it while you search - that way you won't feel pressure to buy the first one that you try.

Oh, and by the way - NEVER, NEVER put anything - especially a trumpet - on the roof of the car. Just make that one of the basic tenets of living (like brushing your teeth or batheing) - if you do it again, I will come over there and give you 30 lashes with a wet noodle.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User

200 pounds is currently worth around 319.280 USD

New horns in the US are usually in the thousands, so buying used will probably be your best bet. TM has its very own classifieds section, but most of the used horns there seem to be selling between $700-$2000 USD. Even then, buying online is a sketchy business. No two horns are exactly alike- each has its own little nuances and you have to find one suitable for you. Unless you're a collector I cannot recommend buying without having an opportunity to play it first.

If I were in your position, I would find a reputable instrument shop and have them repair it for you and continue playing it. At five months of playtime, unless you are prodigy chances are you don't need a better horn at this time.

Piano User
    New Hampshire

To add to Jurandr's comments -- at only 5 months of playing, you won't be able to pick out an instrument which will truly be better for you. Or, to put it differently, almost any instrument may seem better to you simply because it's different. You need to mature as a trumpet player before you move onto a new trumpet.

Put that money in the bank (or in a coffee can) and keep adding to it. Empty your pocket of change every evening and add that to the coffee can and over the next year you'll be amazed at how much money you've saved, and you'll continue to practice and to improve to the point where you will be much better able to buy a better instrument which will be a much better fit for you.

When you do go, bring someone with you who has heard you on your current instrument and have them listen with an open mind as to which truly sounds better. Remember, also to bring along music so you can play exactly the same thing on each instrument so that both you and your friend can have as good an idea as possible of which instrument is best for you. When you go shopping, be prepared to go home with your original instrument -- don't go out with the idea that you need to bring a new instrument home. Eventually you'll find the ideal fit.

Ithaca NY

And stay with the 7C. Top space E is fine at this point.

Thread Information