Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss New Trumpet Mic!!! in the General forums; Originally Posted by tom turner Hi, they are VOCAL mics, NOT instrument mics. There are mics that are made for ...
    Bloomfield Township, Mich
    Quote Originally Posted by tom turner

they are VOCAL mics, NOT instrument mics.

There are mics that are made for the demands of a human voice, and mics made to make your trumpet sound incredible. No mic truly does both in a close mic'ing situation.
    Tom thank you for the great answer. It confirmed my thoughts about the SM57. It really isn't a good trumpet mic.

The specs on it have the frequency response peaking at 16,000. My cheap pc headset peaks at 20,000. Along with what you said explains to me why it sounds like it doesn't have a good high sound even though it doesn't have enough bass either.

20 years of mystery solved at 3:45 AM. Beauty!
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Pianissimo User
    Texas - USA
    try an AKG C-414 through an Avalon tube preamp (leave the EQ flat - do rolloff the bass on the mic)- no muss/no fuss to get a great sound (just not cheap!)

Pianissimo User
    Ellicott City, Maryland

Re: New Trumpet Mic!!!

1. What preamp are you using?

2. Can I have your Sennheisers?

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by ALLCHOPS
    In the past few years I have spent about $1,000.00 on a couple of Sennheizer Microphone's(421 and a 441)... I just purchased an AKG D-440 and much to my surprise is turning out to be the best one yet, not to mention the cheepest.. Specifically designed for the Trumpet it has a even tone throughout the registers.... For about $120.00!!!

Just thought I would share!

Happy 4th!

Tony G

New Friend

Re: New Trumpet Mic!!!

One of the key questions in this discussion would be what kind of live situation are you dealing with?

Obviously there is going to be a give and take with any mic you choose. The ideal would be either a nice ribbon or large cap condenser to pick up the true beauty of a horn's sound. However neither one of this is ideal for a live situation, unless its a nice sounding stage and something like a combo playing.

Most of the time we as trumpet players are being mic'd is when we are playing with other way louder instruments, or over a big band. This is why we bring in a dynamic, such as the sm57. They are not nearly as sensitive as a condenser and can generally operate at much higher SPL. If you want to get closer to keeping the over all quality of your sound with a dynamic you are going to want to look at something like an Electro Voice RE-20, or something by Heil. The RE-20 is popular for being used in broadcasting situations but are all around amazing mics.

The 57 is on the cheap end of the dynamic range, but it is an amazing mic that has truly been tested by time. It is very affordable, which musicians love, and you'll have a hard time trying to hurt this mic. I agree 100% it is not the best sounding mic for trumpet, but it is a good mic to use for a sound guy. It lets things work on in a live mix amazingly well. That is a huge factor in this, some guy who doesn't really know what a trumpet should sound like is mixing your sound. I am a live sound engineer along with a trumpet player, and have worked with people who think a trumpet should be all high mid range-y, and make them sound like shit. So keep that in mind, there is someone elses ears controlling your sound no matter what mic you use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information