Trumpet Discussion Discuss new trumpet recommendations... in the General forums; in febuary or march im getting a new trumpet this will be my first proffessional model so i was wondering: ...
    Pianissimo User

new trumpet recommendations...

in febuary or march im getting a new trumpet this will be my first proffessional model so i was wondering: what should i tryout before making my decision? any specifics i should tryout or tips on choosing my trumpet?

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Re: new trumpet recommendations...

Find a big store with as many trumpets as you can play. Recognize that your mouthpiece and face isn't necessarily going to match every trumpet out there. In other words, a horn everyone says is wonderful might just not be the best horn you've played.

Also... a horn that is different is going to be... different. Sometimes certain notes will be in a different place. Me, I play old Bueschers, you give me a modern Getzen and, at least initially, it's unplayable. So, be flexible with intonation, you can adapt to almost anything.

If at all possible, bring a teacher or other trumpet player to listen to you without necessarily looking at what you're playing so they can give you an informed opinion. What the horn sounds like behind the bell does NOT correlate with how it sounds out in the hall.

I'm guessing you're in school? See how many guys in your section you can beg, bribe, blackmail, etc into staying after one day and you play all of THEIR horns and both of you write down your impressions. That will give you a start on feeling what the differences are.

Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Good advice above. Just remember, we all have favorites, usually based on our own playing characteristics, so what works best for me may not work for you. Try to play as many of the pro horns as you can. In terms of new horns, I DEFINITELY would try a Bach Srtad, Yamaha, and Getzen, and most certainly Kanstul (they have a dozen different model pro horns-each with its own characteristics), . Try to play whatever would be the more common "standard" model of each. You will probably quickly see that each has its own unique qualities.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes it takes a while to "get used to" a different horn. Right now I am swapping back and forth from my Chicago Kanstul (copy of a Benge) to Kanstul 1502 (Calicchio copy). After I am used to one, it takes me at least 15 -20 minutes before I lock into the specific characteristics of the other horn after switching. And I play these every day.

If you have any friends that have a pro horn, ask them to let you borrow it for a day. The more you try, the better.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the common pro horns. They wouldn't stay in business if they weren't building quality horns. Still, there some may fit your playing skills, characteristics, and venues better than others. One of the moderators often points out that Maynard sounds like Maynard, regardless of the horn he played, Chet Baker like Chet Baker, regardless of the horn, etc. Still, if all you are playing is small group jazz, or classical, or whatever, you MAY find some horns fit better than others. Best of luck. Let us know what you come up with.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

New Friend
    Chattanooga TN

Quick insight...... if you are in school get a Bach 37,43 or a Xeno. Stay as standard as possible until you know which direction you really need to go. I know I will be blasted for this comment by some, but its the truth. This is as far as a Bb at least.

Sonare would be another great horn to try!
    Last edited by ztrumpet1; 03-08-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: update.

If you have no experience in picking horns, a couple of months is not enough time.

My experience shows however that very often the decision is not based on gaining true personal knowledge, rather a birthday or other event. That is like picking a dating partner from a newspaper ad. It is your money, so I guess you can do whatever you want. My advice is to take someone like a trumpet teacher with you when you go to the music store. Salepeople generally sell the horn with the biggest commission. That may or may not be the right instrument.
    If you are buying over the internet, make sure that you have the right to return if you are not satisfied.

A less impulsive, more intelligent way of picking a horn is to take 6 months to a year, play everything that you can get your hands on and take notes. After that time, you have enough personal experience to at least take a well educated guess.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

dubuque iowa

Its so highly subjective that you may never be completely sure that you made the right choice. The longer you wait and the more samples you try the better. Certainly any pro level horn will be better than what you have now if it is an intermediate or student instrument. If you are human it probably will boil down to a certain trumpet that wows you from the time you open the case and thats ok. Looks, reputation of the maker, recomendation of a trusted friend, test played on a particularly good day, salespersons push, they all make a difference. You could decide before you even play it! My point is..everyone has an opinion so relax and enjoy the search. The longer you go, the more chance that you will have enough input to get a good one. If you can get a second opinion by a trusted impartial musician this may help too. There are a lot of great chioces out there and I envy you going on this odesy. Best wishes. ps I like Getzens.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

If it doesn't have to be "new". You could incorporate craigslist to you source of possible trumpets. I am amazed at what comes up there at times. I just saw a 1957 Bach Mt Vernon, and it could have been had for less than a grand.

Pianissimo User

Play yamahas, getzens, bachs and kanstuls
    You donīt plan to fail, you fail to plan

Thread Information