Trumpet Discussion Discuss New work for trumpet and piano! in the General forums; Thanks for the comments! Back to the drawing board......
    New Friend

New work for trumpet and piano!

Thanks for the comments! Back to the drawing board...
    Last edited by amoselkana; 02-07-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Utimate User

Re: New work for trumpet and piano!

I'm sure it sounds great on midi.

Do you play trumpet? I'm going to guess not. It is seriously the most impractical thing I've ever seen for trumpet. There are two single complete measures of rest for the player. You may consider re-writing it for clarinet if you're going to insist the player play that relentlessly for so long. Violin may be another possiblity. They are used to constant playing.

Forgive me, but at first I thought it was an elaborate joke. Fun to play? I think not, aagin, forgive me. The fun for trumpet usually comes in the interplay between soloist and accompanist and there is none. Rather, it's just constant melody vs. countermelody but there's nothing conversant about the piece.

I think it was very thoughtful of you to sit down and write the piece and even more so that you sought out this website and shared the piece free of charge. Thanks for that. The demands you make are unreasonable for a fine performance and interpretation, however. I'm sure there are some power jocks that can slam through the piece but I'm not one of them. But, that's just me.

Last edited by Manny Laureano; 02-07-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Forte User
    Northern New York

Playability... it seems chock full of little trumpet tricks, but, it about stops there. 16th notes, staccato, above high C on a C trumpet. Shamefully, I must admit defeat there. Maybe either Mr. Vizzuti or Sergei Nakariekov or Jens Lindemann could handle that, but I don't think the average trumpet player like me can. A clean and musical rendering is next to impossible, as Manny said, due to the constant face-time and the constant din of moving 16th notes. Silences are a composer's tool for creating drama; interplay creates interest and a chance for an interaction of musical ideas that are built upon one another over the extended time and duration of the piece in question while drawing the listener's ear in a new and different direction to avoid a rambling thought that loses the focus of the listener during the performance of the piece being performed. (See?)

Maybe revisions could include some more contrast in rhythm, adding rest, taking those staccato (I would assume double tongued) licks above C and either write them down an octave or just have the piano play them.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Mezzo Piano User
    Ft. Worth, TX

I can't even access the site anymore...did you remove it?
    Bb-Garry Stoner beadless copper custom Bb-serial 12.16.85.
    Monette XLT B2S3, Monette MFIII

You don't use people to make music--you use music to make people.

Thread Information