Hello all trumpet masters,
I just rented a Holton T602P student trumpet. I'm returning to the trumpet after 35+ years (actually, I played a cornet). It has some issues, I believe, but because I'm a newbie I can't be sure if it's me or the instrument. It does have a very hard to move main tuning slide, which is not a huge issue. But what is bothering me is it seems that I have to blow really hard and play really loud to get a decent tone. I rented a Yamaha student (not sure of model now) last year and only played it for a few weeks, but I remember being able to play more softly, yet still have a relatively decent tone (considering my "beginner" status).
My related questions are:
* Is the inability to play soft me as a newbie or could it also be the trumpet?
* I've read conflicting reports on using vaseline to grease the slide - is that OK?
* Would you recommend playing on a student rental for 6 months or more before looking into buying a trumpet?
* And the really stupid question: I plan on playing with an amateur concert band starting in September. I never realized that there were different trumpet keys before - do I need to get a C trumpet or is the Bflat just fine (I only thought there was Bflat)
* What about a cornet? Yes or no?
Thanks for any and all advice!