Trumpet Discussion Discuss Nice surprise, i actually did something right naturally! in the General forums; The last month or so I've had a renewed interest in getting better at the trumpet. I've played for nearly ...
    New Friend

Nice surprise, i actually did something right naturally!

The last month or so I've had a renewed interest in getting better at the trumpet. I've played for nearly 20 years but confess I had become stagnant in the last decade or so. Through this site and others I've been trying to learn all I can about playing, identifying my weaknesses, and of course improving. I had no idea so much great information about playing was freely available and it's awesome how I can come here and read comments from amateur and professionals alike.

My biggest complaint is my lack of range. A just over the staff is all I can reliably hit, and sometimes that's strained and I use bad technique (too much pressure). When I watch video's of great players playing high they don't looked strained at all (well, except for Maynard, heh). They make it look so easy! This isn't a thread about improving my bad range, there are plenty of threads on here about that already.

Whoops, i'm rambling. I started this thread mainly to say that I got excited when I realized that I use the K-tongue modified (KTM) most of the time when single tonguing. I stumbled on a KTM thread and thought to myself "if the pro's use it, maybe I should figure this out too". I started reading about it and then while practicing this morning realized that is typically how I single tongue already, WELL HOT DOG! Hah.

I would also like to add that even though my Kanstul 1600 came damaged in the mail yesterday, I flippin love that horn so far.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Nice surprise, i actually did something right naturally!

Most explanations of how to play are based on someone's success: they figure out how they do what they do and write it down. Not all players have success with or can integrate the written word into their own playing. If we play that way already it can be a real "aha!" moment, and those are fun. I have seen players "ruined" by an obsession with a particular method or technique. I knew a Japanese trumpet player who studied in Vienna, was a fine player; and had style and technique down. After studying, he took lessons on the way to achieve a "Double High C in 37 weeks." He could pop out a "Double High C" at whim, but his sound became so altered that he had difficulty getting pick-up jobs in orchestras.

I urge my students towards a complete package, without thinking too much about how they are doing it. Sometimes I use an old trick from Philip Farkas--when they have a problem that pops up on occasion, I ask them to spend a week figuring out how to do it all the time, and after they figure it out and can describe it in words, I simply tell them not to do that anymore.

When things work reasonably well, sometimes the best thing we can do is to stretch the envelope: rather than play mf, try playing the same piece at pppp, and ffff; faster and slower (slower as in slow motion as in real slow) keeping good sound, intonation and style.

In short, we train our bodies to play trumpet, with our brain only acting as a loving supportive coach.

I'm glad playing is bringing you joy, Fuzzystump.

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information