Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss No Line Bifocal Glasses in the General forums; I was haveing trouble seeing music so I went and got no the line bifocals. I can see fine straight ...
    Piano User
    Godley, Texas

No Line Bifocal Glasses

I was haveing trouble seeing music so I went and got no the line bifocals. I can see fine straight ahead. But looking to the side to see the music past my hands and trumpet the music is blurry. I went back to my optometrist today. She said no line bifocals have the vison correction in the center. I told her my problem. She said she has never had a patient with my problem. She said she can prescibe lined bifocals but they only offer a little more side vision. Surly there are trumpet players with bifocals. How do you deal with it? Thanks

Re: No Line Bifocal Glasses

Stick with the one line Bifocals is you will get use to it. I had the same problem but the body will adjust

Pianissimo User
    Fayetteville, NC

I tried to like them. I really did. But for me the lens placement to focus on a music stand makes me tilt my head WAYYYYYY back. I finally bought a second pair of glasses just for playing. The music focuses great, and the conductor is kinda blurry - both good things.

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I have had bi focals for 24 yrs and no remedy is a complete success I have found. I have a "normal" pair split up between distance and lower spot for reading. I have had a second pair of "music-computer glasses" that has the same reading spot in the lower quadrant and the major portion adjusted so I can see a bit past arm's length very clearly for music and computer work, an it is sharp enough for distance so I can see the director with out eyestrain. Quite often I will put on the pairs interchangeably until I notice the difference embarasslingly later when I notice things aren't quite sharp. No problem with side vision either.
    Hope you get adjusted to the type you have.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

I hate to add to the bad news but all of the responses are correct. As far as I know, there is no current solution using no-line bifocal (aka "progressive") lenses. The clear vision is only in the center of the bottom so seeing music requires tilting your head and swiveling (very hard on the neck after awhile). Like the others, I purchased single-vision glasses for use in reading music and the computer screen. That has saved me a lot of neck pain. I understand that there are now progressive contact lenses available but I have not tried them so I cannot say if they will work for music playing.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Mezzo Forte User

Have your opthamologist with your prescription in hand consult the optician the numbers, diopter angles and what ever else he scribbled on there, to make sure they are in agreement as to what Dr. Chickenscratch indeed wrote is what the lab gave you for eyeglasses.

Monroe Ct.

I tried the no line and couldn't use them.

I had them lower the line way down so I have a small reading portion and the line isn't always in front of me. It's a little hard to read some things because the bottom portion is small but I can read music and see off to the side.

Melbourne Australia

I don't know what the problem is with your eyes, but I have astigmatism.

My glasses I got 10 years ago for astigmatism have not changed, but the bifocal for reading is changing (age related). I use no-line bifocals all the time.

I am a come-back player. On my first Band visit, What I found was that when I try to read the music, it is above the bifocal, so I am looking at the music without any adjustment. I have to tilt my head way back, or use one hand to raise the bi-focal area up.

I ended up getting a set made with the intent of seeing about 2 metres clearly. So I can read my music and the others either side of me, but not really see any distance with them, and can only make out the outline of the conductor.

In my case it works well, but they are specific to the job at hand. The optomitrist knew exactly what to do when I saw him.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Have your opthamologist set you up with an extra pair of glasses to read at your distance from the music stand. You can read the music, and the conductor will be a time counting blur--no facial expressions visible! The best of all worlds!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Single vision glasses work best for reading music. Most players I know use music glasses.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information