Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss No Motivation for trumpet/Is there something wrong with me? in the General forums; Patrick, Maybe you are worrying too much about it. Its OK to feel guilt when our actions hurt others or ...
    Patrick,

Maybe you are worrying too much about it. Its OK to feel guilt when our actions hurt others or God, but you should never feel bad about changing hobbies.

That's right, a hobbie. So many of us amateurs get wound up in fixing this problem or making ourselves practice that we forget its a hobbie, not a profession. First and foremost playing the horn should be a source of pleasure and self-fulfilment, not a chore. When it stops being fun then pursue another interest that you enjoy. You may come back, or you may not. That's OK. Nobody is going to judge you if you quit one hobbie to pick up another. And if they do judge you then their opinion doesn't matter.

Spend some time in quiet prayer, maybe God is leading you in a new direction?

Greg
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

I feel that I have made some strong strides in my personal faith over the last year. Prior to when I started to play drums for the praise band, it had been about a decade since I had practice my faith at all. When I started to play drums for the praise band, I didn't do it so that I could get back to church, I did it because it was going to be a challenging musical experience and something that I had always wanted to do.

Over the last year, I have felt that God is taking me in new directions, and I'm doing my best to not screw that up and get in the way of it. I never really considered the idea that maybe God is telling me that it's ok let go of playing trumpet, at least for a little while.

On the other side of that is my side income from playing trumpet. It isn't a huge amount, but it's enough so that we as a family can have some fun with it and buy some things that otherwise wouldn't be in our budget. For instance, I used that money to buy the materials to finish my unfinished basement and for most of the materials for my deck. Most recently, I took my gig money and bought a used USB mic pre amp and interface from a friend for $150.

I think that if I can get myself back in the habit of practicing, playing will become easier, less of a chore, and I'll enjoy it much more. If not, I'll probably bag playing in this band after New Years eve. January is typically a slow month for the band and will be the best time for the band to find and train a replacement should I choose to depart.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Good Luck! :)
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Mezzo Piano User
    Patrick,

I think it's normal to ebb and flow as your other musical interests dominate more and less over time. I also play jazz guitar and go through phases where I'm really focused on guitar. For a while there I was playing guitar in Dallas Christian Jazz Band and writing reviews for Just Jazz Guitar and hardly touching my trumpet. Then, about four years ago, I was begged to join a soul/funk/rock band, playing trumpet. Because of my move to Denver I dropped out of DCJB and I'm playing trumpet most of the time and only picking up guitar for personal entertainment and for reviews.

I never let trumpet or guitar go totally unattended, but I swing between 50-50, 90-10 and 10-90 based on how the spirit (holy that is) leads me.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    Hey Patrick!

You are not alone here. Swap your trumpet for my keyboards/synths and your drums for my trumpet and you have my story the last couple of years. Except now I am getting back into the keys while still trying to keep the horns going.

Maybe this is the musical equivalent of taking on a mistress. We fall out of passion for the old instrument and get all hot and excited by our new musical mistress, spend lots of money on her, and feel all re-energized. Only diff is the old faithfull is still there waiting for the time we come back. Oil the valves, power up the synths and it is like we never left...all is forgiven!

Congrats on the new job situation. Hope that works out or leads to something even better. Ever thought about taking on a few students to make up the lettuce from dropping the New Monopoly?

So, when are you gonna come over and do some recording here?

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

Quick update:

I practiced last night. The chops were still a bit stiff from the abuse they received on Saturday night, trying to deal with playing rock band after a three week layoff, but after about 10 minutes things actually went pretty well, although I kept the session in it's entirety to about 45 minutes (with frequent, short breaks) and I didn't do anything particularly taxing. I just kept it simple with some basic articulation and flexibility exercises, and I worked a bit on my flow.

I was thinking about my situation pretty hard last night and I came to an intersting conclusion. Part of my lack of motivation with trumpet might have to do with my lack of motivation in other areas in my life. I've even struggled with my motivation for drums lately, although I end up playing more drums simply due to the fact that I have to play in order to prepare for the upcoming Sunday. With trumpet, everything is right there on the page for me to read, so I don't really HAVE to prepare anything.

Back to the subject of my general lack of motivation, I have been stuggling with my lack of motivation on the job for the better part of a year, and I think that has bled over into other aspects of my life. Fortunately, I'm leaving my current position on Friday, and I'm completely changing my scenery when it comes to work and the daily commute. I will be doing strickly SQL Server database work, and I will no longer schlep myself into Washington DC traffic. I also shortened my commute by 24 miles and the better part of an hour, (each way!) and I will be going North into Baltimore instead.

Anyway, practice last night was pretty cool, and I hope to do two sessions tonight instead of just one.

Wish me luck! :)
    Patrick Gleason

Mezzo Piano User
    Well, you've had a ton on your mind, plus things tugging you toward other instruments at your church. No wonder your trumpet-focus wandered. With all that added time available and better work, you'll be way more inspired when it comes to music. :)

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Quote Originally Posted by fatpauly
    So, when are you gonna come over and do some recording here?

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Maybe soon, maybe soon. besides, I just got myself into some *REAL CHEAP recording gizmos and soon I'll be fumbling around trying to figure out how to use those. You could help me get started.

*REAL CHEAP - I bought a used M-Audio duo mic interface and pre-amp from a friend, and I got a couple of cheapo condenser mics when Guitar Center was holding their grand opening. I got the Marshall MXL 990 and 991 for $50. Reviews on the MXL mics are actually pretty good considering how inexpensive they are.
    Patrick Gleason

Well, I practiced again last night, but I didn't really work the chops much at all for two reasons.

One - I grabbed my son and got him to get his horn out and we did some playing together. This is a challenge for me because he is beginning his second year with the horn and although he has a decent sound, he's still pretty raw. Consequently, much of that playing wasn't too challenging. Just slow, methodical work on the very basics.

Two - My wife needed to print some pictures on the photo printer and ran out of ink in the color cartridge, so I was dispatched to go get her a replacement. (this occured about 30 minutes after I started and while I was working with my son.)

But, I did get the horn back on my face and some aspects of my playing are starting to tighten up already. For instance, flexibilities are becoming more sure - less like throwing darts, and my articulation is much cleaner than it was just this last weekend. Right now, I think that given that I HAD chops at one point, the most important thing is just to get the horn up on my face every day.

Muscle memory is a wonderful thing! :)
    Patrick Gleason

Re: No Motivation for trumpet/Is there something wrong with me?

trickG,
    did you ever think your getting burned out on trumpet??
    I used to play in my churches praise team (for like 4 yrs straight, and wed. nights to) -- got burned out and walked away for awhile.
    I DONT suggest walking totally away -- but seriously -- maybe do the 20 min. trumpet practice, and NOT play the gigs with trumpet - do the drums or piano awhile --- and come back to trumpet when YOU or GOD is ready again.
    I am finally playing again after like 9 yrs (I wouldn't wait that long if I were you) -- but I will debut for the morning offering in a few weeks -- good to be back -- refreshed, renewed, invigorated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information