In my playing and development as a musician I try to listen to a wide variety of classical performers. I incorporate this into my warm up and buzz along with the cds to help my development by matching their phrasing, intonation, etc. There are many recordings available that feature wonderful groups or soloist but every now and then I find a performer or ensemble that stands out in my mind and that inspires me even more than normal.

This weekend I picked up the Elgar Cello concerto with Jacqueline Du Pre, Daniel Barenboim and the Philadelphia Orchestra ( Enigma and Pomp and Circumstance are also on the cd but with London Phil). The performance is simply one of the most inspiring performances I have ever heard on CD with great musicality and intensity on the part of both the soloist and the orchestra. As I buzz along it inspires me to take my own playing to new heights. If you have 14 bucks burning a hole in your wallet and haven’t heard the piece already I would encourage you to give it a listen.