Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Is this normal? in the General forums; Wow, 3 hrs. Way to much. Try three 15 min. sessions, with at least 15-30 min inbetween. Take today off ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Is this normal?

Wow, 3 hrs. Way to much. Try three 15 min. sessions, with at least 15-30 min inbetween. Take today off and rest up your lip. Do some paradiddles or something. Slow down there.

Chesapeake, VA

Mushy beat up lips are never normal! With out being there to hear and watch you play, it sounds like you are probably pushing the mouthpiece into your face way to hard. Play long tones and lip slurs as soft as absolutely possible. Make a Mmm with your lips, place the horn to your face with as little pressure as possible, then play as softly as possible. The most important advice that I or any one else here can give you is to find a qualified private instructor!! 30min, once a week, of face time with someone that knows what they are doing is far more valiable than all the information you will get here!!

Enjoy the trumpet and keep us up to date!
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~A. Einstein

Check out my boy Mark Ingraham...

Pianissimo User

I recently picked up my trumpet after a long layoff and begun taking lessons. My teacher told me to rest as much as I play, singing the parts I am playing before I actually use my trumpet. I have found this advice to be excellent, as I am not fatiguing as easily and am able to play longer. Singing is a great way to develop your ear for the music also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information