Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Note Names - Doubles and Triples in the General forums; Nomenclature is tough. As an example, I played in a Trompetenensemble, where (although speaking German) we didn’t speak the same ...
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Note Names - Doubles and Triples

Nomenclature is tough. As an example, I played in a Trompetenensemble, where (although speaking German) we didn’t speak the same language: Playing a Bach piece for trumpet in D on A piccolos, I would refer to concert pitch, (D) another in written pitch (C) and the third on the button he pressed (F).

In the language of musicologists (Musikwissenschaflter, or “music scientist” in German) a double c (C5) would be the lowest note of a “double c major scale.” In concert pitch (in German) it is a B4.

In this sense, the G below the staff would be considered a “pedal g” (G1) since our “pedal c” is C1.

Weird enough?

Nobody I know, however, refers to the g below the staff (below two ledger lines, fingered 13 (with 3rd valve slide on my Schilke) as a “pedal g.” Everyone I know calls it a “low g.” Going from there, an octave above “low g” would be “g,” an octave above that “high g,” an octave above that “double g” which is then an octave too low for the musicologists, but logical if we consider the g below the staff to be “low” rather than “pedal.”

Of course the musicologists are correct, because they are scientists. Artists don’t count.

Weird stuff.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Levittown , NY

A lot of the confusion comes from people who double piano and trumpet , where the middle C on the piano is the C between the F and G clefs, but this is a trumpet web site so it should deal with the range of the trumpet and not other instruments.

Pianissimo User
    Manchester, England

Thanks for clarifying this for me, I was about to post about when doubles and trebles start, I assumed it to be on C, I am glad I was right.

One reason for my uncertainty is that I read in an old post that a trumpeter claimed that a respected player and teacher used to play triple A's easily during performances.

Surely this cant be right, that would be just a few semitones below quad A.

You can see my confusion, and by the way is it likely that triple A is blowable with such ease, it seems freakishly high to me but Im just a beginner so Im guessing here.

If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz,
    But if you can learn to play sweet you always get to eat.

1893 Bennett & Bennett Cornet
    1928 Selmer Student Trumpet
    1930 Comet Trumpet
    1954 Conn 80A Cornet
    1955 Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet
    1976 Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
    2001 Yamaha YCR2330II Cornet

Based on one of the previous posts, high is anything above the staff and low is anything below the staff. This is a logical way to approach this problem. Still, however, we would have two reference notes: G above the staff and C below, so it is easy to understand why there is so much confusion. Though I personally agree with the OP where the double g is the g above the g that is above the staff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information