Trumpet Discussion Discuss Note Wavering in the General forums; Hi again everyone, this past month or so I have been adding more and more time on my practice sessions ...

Note Wavering

Hi again everyone, this past month or so I have been adding more and more time on my practice sessions and I have noticed on a lot of my long tone practices the notes I am holding have been wavering and / or been stuck on the flat side of the pitch with the slide all the way in.

I normally can play everything in pretty good intonation and at a solid pitch and I don't really have any idea why I am suddenly running into intonation problems, it seems as a I strive for a better tone my lips have been loosing up to much to keep the tune in pitch.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
    -Selmer Paris 1956 Bb
    -New York Stradivarius #7

-Schilke 12
    -Wedge 3c #7 Warburton backbore

Greensboro, NC

Re: Note Wavering

several things could be causing this but no way to tell with out a face to face session. Find a GOOD teacher and take a few lessons and see what they say. cannot be diagnosed over a web site.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Bostonish & San Francisco

As was said before, we can't tell for certain what the problem is over the internets,
    but try a bigger breath with and play with more air, and through the whole note
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

New Zealand

maybe your long tones are wavering due to your lips experiencing cumulative fatigue from the extra practice you have started doing. If so, a few days break and soft, low, long tones to get back into it could be the answer.

Levittown , NY

Hard to tell without seeing and hearing you in person , but most times long tones wavering is caused by either improper breath support or too much mouthpiece pressure. Relax your breathing , again hard to tell over the internet but it could be your using either too much or to little tension ,usually its too much, so take a relaxed breath and keep the tongue still after the initial attack.

Again, it's hard to say over the 'net, but here are some thoughts:

-if the intonation problem started recently, then it's a good possibility that you are fatigued. When you say the tone 'wavers' when playing long tones, I assume you mean that the tone wavers from the beginning of the note, not as you tire, which is sort of to be expected when starting long tone studies. Fatigue could be caused by over practicing, or just practicing a lot more than usual. If it's the latter, it should go away as you adjust to your new extended regimen.

-you might not be breathing correctly. This would cause you to put far to much wear on your embochure causing fatigue, intonation problems, etc. This is the first problem I see in students and probably the first one you should check out. Make sure that you are breathing fully, filling the air column, relaxing the throat, and getting the full benefit of your air column.

do you have a daily routine? If you did, you would probably know why things are funny. There is nothing better that you can do for yourself than to get a 30 minute daily routine: Breathing, Longtones, slurs and basic tonguing. This is not a warm up, it is like a shower and shave first thing in the morning. It just gets you in tune with your body and gives you a reference anytime anywhere.

Get a routine!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information