Trumpet Discussion Discuss NTC worth it? in the General forums; Hello, I'm a currently a junior in high school and am a very serious trumpet player. I have been contemplating ...
    New Friend

NTC worth it?

I'm a currently a junior in high school and am a very serious trumpet player. I have been contemplating in doing the NTC this year for quite some time now. However, I am having second thoughts because I just realized how many talented players are out there. The fee to apply is $75 and my family isn't in the best financial situation. I am willing to work hard, but don't know if that will be enough. My teacher has decided for me to play Hummel Movement 1. What do you all think?

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: NTC worth it?

Are you planning to do it for just the experience or with a realistic eye toward winning or placing high up? What does your teacher say about your level of development and technical skill? How well do you think that you can play Hummel? (Remember, no clams are allowed). If your family will struggle to pay the $75, you need to decide what the benefit will be in return for that. It sounds like the cost of a couple of lessons so maybe you can work it out with your teacher to skip a couple at some point to make it up if that is the only way you can make it.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Monroe Ct.

There might be a way to get a scholarship or sponsor if money is really a problem. Write to them and ask

Pianissimo User
    New Jersey, USA

Log onto the NTC web page and listen to some of the past years winning performances to get an idea of what you will be competing against. Last year they accepted 30 HS students into the semi-final rounds. Even if you didn't make it to the finals, being chosen as a semi-finalist is a pretty big deal in my book and something to add to your resume. You also get a written critique from each of the five judges.

You don't necessarily have to be note perfect to win. I know someone who missed an entire bar and ended up in 2nd place. I asked this to my son's teacher and he told me "yeah, but they had a beautiful sound!"

Practicing for and competing in the NTC will also help you gain experience when it comes time to audition for college.

Thread Information