Trumpet Discussion Discuss Numbness in lips after wisdom tooth extraction? in the General forums; I am 54 years old and have been having daily pain due to an impacted wisdom tooth. Planning to have ...
    New Friend

Numbness in lips after wisdom tooth extraction?

I am 54 years old and have been having daily pain due to an impacted wisdom tooth. Planning to have the surgery which will remove my 3rd and 2nd molars on my left side. The surgeon says that due to my age, deteriorated condition of the tooth and closeness of the tooth to certain nerves that there is a risk that I will have temporary or even permanent numbness and/or tingling sensation in part of my lower lip. If there is anyone out there who has had this type of surgery and has also experienced the numbness I would like to know if it affects your embouchure and playing ability. Thanks for any info.

New Friend

Re: Numbness in lips after wisdom tooth extraction?

don 'doc' reinhardt wrote about face problems in his encyclopedia of brass playing-i think charlie colin published it
    doc had a lot of chop problems sent his way, and he had a lot of damaged students-from war wounds, surgeries, car wrecks, incompetent medicos, etcetc-his credentials back in the day included maynard and frank rosolino...no slouch as a guru...he almost always had the student smear a thick coat of A&D Ointment on the lips, then move the mouth piece around till a good buzz was acheived...this sometimes ended up on the sides, or even the corners of the mouth/didn't matter. the lineup of the lips, co-ordinated with the tongue, always resulted in a successful outcome.
    this overcame scar tissue, numbness, nerve damage, even paralysis according to one of docs students.
    i met frank trepani in neworleans around the time of watergate...he was at the fairmont with dick stabile. 6'6", he played on a bill chase model mouthpiece-real small.
    he played great lead, and solos that knocked us all out...about 10 yrs later, i heard he was with the dukes of dixieland.
    frank had been diagnosed with a cancer on his lip (he was a postal carrier during the day-there were many, many children-i assumed it was from the sun, but who knew in 1980???) and a part of the lip was excised. he had already been practicin' on the other side of his face-and developed strong chops off to the side-and, later, slightly off center. after the healing was underway, he experimented, and was able to count on 3 strong embouchers-and gigged morning, day, night...he played the pardes, shows at night, clubs, and sat in after hours.
    so take heart-you will succeed if you work on this methodically.
    get healthy-look for the best anti-oxidents, flavinoids, eat them berries, spices, green teas-cut out the red meats to make your system stronger-nutrition and exercise will force your body to heal itself-get to the library, health food stores, look for the alternative medicos who offer a solution to the infections to work with the antibiotics...most important-essential, get some inner guidance-attitude is the most important healing tool we have. visualize, write affirmations, journal the experience, acknowledge the trepidation and fear, and grapple with it, overcome it, see yourself playing and healthy and happy. work it, and you can come out of this 20 years younger/fmake this a project for your survival, the skills you acquire will carry into, spill over onto, all of your life-you will help others with the knowledge you will gain.
    from a fellow geezer still playing...and i play with a lot of cats older than us who beat cancer, retinal damages, diabetes, heart disease, stroke (yes, stroke) hip replacements(they catch hell on the "New Hipness")
    music saves them all-physically, spiritually, emotionally, socially music feeds them, nourishes their inner being...
    Keep the faith-let us know how you are doin'
    Last edited by lou gonzalez; 03-19-2009 at 11:25 PM.

New Friend

Thanks Lou for the advice. Hopefully I won't have those side effects but if I do I'll come back to read your post for encouragement. I saw Frank Trapani play with the Dukes of Dixieland sometime in the 1980's and he had super strong chops. Great player. Later heard he died a few years after I had seen him.

New Friend

we lost the cat way too soon. he is a hero to all he touched with his generous spirit and great, good nature. the great sounds you heard came from the heart-i don't know if the encyclopedia of brass is around-doc's proper name is donald s. reinhardt.
    it's a good 1000 pgs of text, diagrams, graphs, Q&A-some of it worth millions, some useless till you got a problem.
    again-i wish you a speedy and painless recovery...and as my attorney said on the way to the arraignment-"better you than me"-ok-bad joke-
    sorry. we send our best...

New Friend

Had my wisdom teeth extracted 30yrs ago. left side of my tongue is still numb it is only sensory and not a control problem and i can feel with it just never has felt natural. Good luck with your surgery

Pianissimo User

Those are the standard risks with that type of surgery. I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out last summer. The hardest part for me (albeit I'm a bit younger and the wisdom teeth hadn't impacted yet) was just keeping food out of the crevices. If they suggest warm salt-water rinses, do them. You have no idea how good they'll feel.

Best of luck with the surgery!
    YTR-6335H

Mouthpiece du jour: Bach 1.5C, Bach 10.5C

New Friend

Frank Trapanai was my trumpet teacher when I was going to Loyola University back in the fall of 1973. He was probably in his middle 30's then. I remember he was playing at the Fairmont and would come in for our lesson somewhat hung over from the night before. He played with the real small mouth piece from this guy out in California. I bought one, too on his suggestion and started practicing the high notes. He also taught me a completely different tounging technique where you use the back of the toungue instead of the front tip to produce notes. Once that was mastered, it really produced a strong tonal quality on each note. It was quite different. Frank would tell me that you never get rich from being a musician. He was a musician's musician through and through.

Forte User

I just had an implant done this morning, and the consent form included the same sort of warnings about numbness (as well as real fun stuff like sinus penetration). It's a common warning with most surgery, not just oral. Assuming you escape the numbness problems, there are several simple things you can do to speed healing, some of which were mentioned earlier in this thread. Salt water rinses definitely help, and so do increasing your vitamin C intake, reducing sugar and alcohol intake, and taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin when needed. Good luck.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

New Friend

Question Re: Numbness in lips after wisdom tooth extraction?

My husband (sax & clarinet player) is faced with the possibility of having a numb (or tingling) part of his lower lip. This would be due to the upcoming removal of his impacted wisdom tooth with probably damage to the nerve. I would like to hear from the original person who posted this thread to find out the result of his situation with his extracted wisdom tooth. Is he left with a numb lip, and is he able to continue playing his instrument?
    Also, I would appreciate any other comments or suggested websites to get more information on this subject.

Thread Information