Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Ok I'm seriously exasperated in the General forums; I have a few things that I do ... I practice slurring the partial, so instead of A to F ...
    San Pedro

Re: Ok I'm seriously exasperated

I have a few things that I do ...
    I practice slurring the partial, so instead of A to F ... I play A to E ... then I alternate between the two .. a maybe a measure of each.
    I really concentrate on no movement of the jaw while I am doing that as well.
    also ..
    I found that practicing long tones super soft has helped me play more efficiently and with less pressure. When that happens you can move across the partials with less effort.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

I got lost in the first post, when I thought we were talking about A to F and G to E and then somehow Bb came in from left field and I haven't recovered. But here are some very common ways of treating fingering problems between two notes:

- practice no faster than you can play without error. Your muscles don't know whether something is "right" or "wrong". They just remember what they're taught. Play slow to play fast.

- change the rhythms between the two notes. If you have eighth notes to play, play them repeatedly as dotted eighth and sixteenth notes, making sure that the 16th to the following 8th is precise and exactly in time. Play with the opposite rhythm. When you play these two rhythmic patterns enough, with precision, you'll feel a difference when you go back to 8th notes.

Regarding playing alternate 3rd valve in place of 1&2 that's cheating. I do it all the time. But that's different. OP, the kind of problems you seem to be having, IMO you need to resolve them with the conventional fingerings because your problems are ones of coordination that will occur in other fingering patterns that you'll need this facility for.
    coolerdave likes this.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

uhh just keep practicing and be patient! Or how about you start practicing on being patient then everything els will fall in its place. Looks like you already got the practicing part down. Now for the patience.
    "Let thy food be thy medicine, and the medicine be thy food"- Hippocrates

Mezzo Piano User
    London UK

Plus one for "Clarkes Techical Studies " and gentle practice.

Wow, great advice everybody thanks!! Something tells me too, that after relaxing more, working it slow, etc. the main thing is going to be mental and aural (like a few folks said)...hear it, think it, do it. 2nd 10k here I come.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Piano User
    Gainesville, Florida

One problem identification not addressed in the various replies is the possibility of playing consistently on the high side of the pitch rather than the center of the pitch. This would cause the A - Bb / E - G problem.

I liked the concept mentioned about doing the A - E / E - A lip slurs to get comfortable with the downward slurs.

Also work to focus the air stream right in the middle of the slur rather than trying to loosen up the embouchure.

Good luck...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida
    Satchmo Brecker likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information