Trumpet Discussion Discuss olds ambassador trumpets in the General forums; hello. its me again. a couple of weeks ago i posted a thread that stated that i was curently in ...

olds ambassador trumpets

hello. its me again. a couple of weeks ago i posted a thread that stated that i was curently in a dillema seeing that the leadpipe of my eterna 700SP was ripped off. my family is going through tough times at the moment, so the budget is rather tight. i received a full scholarship to major in jazz studies at FAMU and i am in desperate need of a new trumpet with a nice dark sound in a comparable price range. i was looking at some of the vintage olds ambassador trumpets. are they any good??? will it carry me through college as well as be a decent jazz horn???? my other option is to go by a local pawn sgop and pray they have something i can afford. any comments and advice would be far as getting my getzen fixed....i dont know because the sound is too bright for least in my opinion

Piano User
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada

Re: olds ambassador trumpets

Hi Jonster,

Congrats on the scholarship. Shoot me your snail mail address and I will see what I can do to help you out.

Regards from Canada,

"Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

thanks brian. (xxxxxxxxx edited by the moderator). anything you can do to help me is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by rowuk; 11-22-2008 at 06:16 AM.

The Wide Brown Land

Good idea to do these sort of coms to the PM facility rather than exposing your email address like this - just a thought. We forget that very occasionally 'undesirables' hide in our ranks and this just provides them an open invitation. Take care - the INTERNET can be dangerous.
    Last edited by tedh1951; 11-11-2008 at 01:28 AM.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend

For what it is worth, I own an Olds Ambassador (59-60) and it is a great horn. I also have an Olds Mendez, and, while according to some on the internet that they are the same horns mechanically, the Ambassador is a darker horn. It could be due to the fact I have stripped most of the laquer off, but when I want to play something a littler darker, more mellow, I switch to the Ambassador. Also, the valves are the best EVER.
    In my opinion, the Ambassador is a great horn. They do not make them like that anymore.

Good luck in School

Pianissimo User

I bought my daughter a Getzen 700s while I bought an olds ambassador. I'm just a beginner. What I can tell is that the 700s is much easier to blow and much brighter. My ambassador needs more strength to blow(might leaking air. maybe need cleaning as well) and my sound is easier to tremble with ambassador. While the sound is truly darker. I can't tell which sounding is better for the sake of a beginner. Since you are a good player, so after you try it, you'll be able to tell weather it is good or not.

I paid more than $100 for mine locally(for the better look then ugly ones), there are many ambassadors around, so I think you'd be able to get a ambassador below $100 or around it. Since you are good at it so you'd be able to get a perfect sounding ambassador.

Personally I don't think you'd care too much about the brand for old instrument. You just pick it up and try it out and then get what you can afford. From my daughter's piano teacher, I saw several top students whose family can only afford $300 piano and those kids can win in the big competition. Once they won the manufacture came in and sell them top notch piano cheap. So keep playing, once you are on top, you'll get top notch trumpet for cheap or free .

Thread Information