Trumpet Discussion Discuss One piece bell vs soldered wire rim in the General forums; I'm shopping for a flugelhorn and want to know your opinions on soldered wire rims. CarolBrass horns are made with ...
    New Friend
    The Monadnocks, NH

One piece bell vs soldered wire rim

I'm shopping for a flugelhorn and want to know your opinions on soldered wire rims. CarolBrass horns are made with soldered wire rims as are the Yamahas I've considered.

Also, when a horn is listed as having a two piece bell, are they referring to a wire rim?

Is a wire rim a bad thing?

Re: One piece bell vs soldered wire rim

The wired rim has nothing to do with the one or two pieceness. The wire is found on most horns. it is simply the edge of the brass of the bell wrapped around a wire. It is not a sign of performance or any thing else.

The same goes for a one or two piece bell. I is simply a design choice. Some of the most expensive horns in the world use a two piece bell. Some of the cheapest - a one piece bell.

The end flare of the bell is soldered or braced on to the rest. It only has one seam. It allows for symmetrical vibration of the bell node patterns. The one piece bell generally has a seam over its whole length. It does not vibrate symmetrically.

The type of bell construction is not a sign of quality.

A bad thing is that you are making decisions based on advertisement BS. Try playing the horn, then you will know if it is an option. Get your teacher to play the horn then you will know if the research that you did makes sense.

First hand experience (playing) empowers you for far more than the current purchase. Talk is cheap and can imprison you. Those with little experience simply try to convince you that what they did is the right way. Hardly a real decion helper.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information