Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss One Trumpet in the General forums; Originally Posted by nickenator Thanks for all the responses. How do I know the trumpet is "professional?" I have a ...
    Heart of Dixie

Re: One Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by nickenator View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. How do I know the trumpet is "professional?" I have a few music stores near me that sell both used and new trumpets, many of which appear to be for grade school students. There is no dedicated brass store near where I live. Sorry for all the ignorant questions.
    Go to the various makers' web sites and research the models they offer. The manufacturers will usually categorize their horns as student, intermediate, and professional. All the ones I've recommended do this except Schilke - all their horns are professional models.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by nickenator View Post
    I have recently picked up my trumpet after years of inactivity. I want to purchase one trumpet to last me for the indefinate future. I play in a community orchestra and hope to join a local jazz band. If you could select one trumpet to have for multipurpose use, what would it be? I would be willing to spend in the $2000-3000 range if necessary, but would love to hear any recommendations below or above this price point. Thanks.
    Not possible. There is no one horn that will cover everything from Bird to Bach. There are enough players that massacre baroque music with big horns. The same "could" be true depending what part in the jazz group you intend to play. Concepts between a "symphonic" and lead sound are pretty different and can require various equipment.

So instead of lying to you about a one size fits all horn, I would suggest getting a decent "standard" horn as the first step. As the playing opportunities grow you will need additional instruments. The next step would be either a flugel or a piccolo trumpet.

Your price range says Yamaha, Bach, Kanstul, Getzen, B&S.......... or if you are ready to move right away, call Felix Vayser at NYTC. He has some incredible deals on new horns. Some are advertised on the TM home page!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Forte User

One issue to consider is sound concept.
    Work out what sound you are aiming for and look at instruments that will support that sound.

For example if you aim towards a light slightly ringing tone then some of the lighter Schilke trumpets would be better than a heavyweight Yamaha.

You can only tell by trying them but the last thing you need is something you are going to have to fight.

I was reading the autobiography of Kenny Ball (british jazz trumpeter) and he talks about buying a Conn Connstellation because its what all the big band players were buying at the time. He took it toa gig and ran out of strength half way through as he was fighting it to get the sound he wanted from it.

I have a Professional Holton Stratodyne from 1955 for sale.

Casper, WY

If you play in tune, in time, & sound good, doesn't matter what you play.

Rent a horn, get your chops back, take some lessons, and play in the band.

Ha! Here's a free way to try horns, swap your section mates during a piece. Actually doing it helps a ton more than talking about horns. I'm a big horn talker. Also, it costs nothing to play whatever any music store has in stock.

Great Fun Ahead for You!

Greensboro, NC

Youncan check out a companies web site to see which models are professional. A well made professional horn is designed to last the life of the player if you know how to take care of it. With a new horn you know you are getting a new horn with no wear problems. Used horns can be a great deal but you have to watch out for acid rot. this can't be fixed although tubes can be replaced. worn valves can be rebuilt for around $300 to $400. if you find a used horn you like take it to a good repair shop to be checked out just like you would take a used car to your mechanic before you buy it. All the advice from the other posts are very good.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Banned Mezzo Forte User

-Nick. If i follow it right, you're presently playing a Cornet or Flugel in your Community Orchestra? Given that, you may not appreciate the nod to Monette's Flumpet. ..Or the price tag. :)

Then again, you may go for broke, despite it being a Trumpet with Cornet/Flugel attributes. I've heard some incredible things about'em here generally- and specifically, by point of an "all-around" Horn you want.

As well, Taylor builds a similar Trumpet, that's far closer to the price range you're inclined presently.

I look at the Horn as something for the 'indefinite future' as well. I don't play yet, although the list of Horns i've gathered in my search since i got here, has come to motion of 'Innovative Design'. Obviously Chuck's 'preachin' to the choir' when he says there's no 'best horn'. :) -But that don't mean diddley, in strict terms of design.

There's innovative design, and commercial design. Neither here nore there -one's no better or worse. It's just what you're looking for, when it comes to variance of sound & range in a Horn you want to play indefinetly, and in multiple settings. With that in mind, and for my money. I'd be talking to these guys. It seemed you would consider spending more, if it was the right Horn.

Harrelson builds the Satellite there. -I love this thing! It's just gotta blow holes in the wall, across the room.

Looking at Horns like these here; makes me want to drop everything i'm doing, and start to play fulltime from scratch.

Studie - Trumpet
    Silverart - Trumpet
    Da Vinci - Trumpet

Courtois Evolution II Trumpet

Two threads here, that may be of some help too.

(What is your main horn?)What is your main horn?

Last edited by godchaser; 11-12-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information