Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Opal inlays in the General forums; I do custom gemstone inlays. If you search my posts they will turn up. I use an Inland all in ...

Re: Opal inlays

I do custom gemstone inlays. If you search my posts they will turn up.

I use an Inland all in wonder lapidary unit. It is BY FAR the cheapest lapidary setup you can get. At least $1000 less than any other setup. That being said, it is meant for hobbyists, and has its limitations.
    The unit is about $500.

I have come up with my own process of making the inlays, and I have good results. My inlays run from .020"-.080" thick, depending on if they are flat with the button top or they stick out.
    I have never tried Opal, as it is too expensive for me to experiment with. I have cracked MANY inlays when doing my final passes, or when buffing up the stone. It is a pain in the butt sometimes. I built some tools to help reduce these issues, but there are some sets of buttons where I have had to make 6-8 inlays to get 3 usable ones.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Lagos, Nigeria

I used to bring over some rough stones from West Africa and have them cut and polished in the UK by a professional gemcutter. It isn't so expensive (so long as you steer clear of diamond ).
    mchs3d likes this.
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Deer Park, TX

Quote Originally Posted by mchs3d View Post
    Ed Lee never jests about such matters.
    Callet Sima ~ 74' Olds Superstar UltraSonic ~ 51' King Super 20 SilverSonic ~ 35' King Liberty
    "Playing trumpet is no harder than praying in the Spirit"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information