Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Ornamenting notes. in the General forums; I not meaning to be a know-it-all, but I have heard people use it quite often in jazz. Is it ...
    Pianissimo User
    Gordonsville, TN
    I not meaning to be a know-it-all, but I have heard people use it quite often in jazz. Is it not a variation of flutter tounging? That's what I thought it was.
    King Silver Flair 2055S
    Getzen 770 SG Gold Series
    Bundy Series II cornet

Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education. -Plato

Piano User
    the Netherlands
    Wynto explains a lot of different trumpet techniques on this website :

Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA
    Effects used during a solo would depend on the style of the music. Listen to soloists who play in the style you prefer and observe what sounds they use and where to use them. Effects used in playing lead will be indicated on the chart or are sometimes added after listening to a particular recording or at the request of the arranger, leader or the whim of the lead player. If in doubt or if you get funny looks when you do it, it may be best to play it straight.

Mezzo Piano User
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I've never heard of water tonguing.

Pianissimo User
    A book won't tell you how to "ornament" your jazz playing, and if there is such a book all you'll learn will be hackneyed formulas. Instead, listen to a lot of jazz records, especially of those whose playing you admire, start with ballads, pick out a phrase or two and do what they do. It'll teach you a lot: what key they play it in, their phrasing (v. yours), where they breathe, etc.
    After a while the "ornament" will become your own and you'll modify it to reflect your own style without even knowing that you've done so.
    If you listen real hard and concentrate on taste and not corn, you'll pick up plenty of tecnique. Don't learn tricks. In the end they're just tricks, aren't they? The worst tricks come out of books, BTW.
    Remember what Maynard F. said: "When you get in trouble play the melody. The melody is never wrong!"

For starters:
    Clifford Brown
    Freddy Hubbard
    Charlie Shavers
    Chet Baker
    Buck Clayton
    Harry James
    Woody Shaw
    Miles Davis
    And on and on . .

This ought to give you some new ears!

Piano User
    Gainesville, Florida

Ornamentations / Mordents

Have a question....a book I have describes a mordent as a single note down and back up from the original note with an inverted mordent going up a single note and back to the original. Another text says just the opposite. Could someone clairify this for me and describe the actual symbol as well for these.

Have already checked a couple of pocket dictionaries and there are conflicts between some of these as well.

Going to check Harvad Dictionary when I get back home.

Any help is appreciated....

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

New Friend
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I like throwing in a little half-valving every once in a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information