Trumpet Discussion Discuss orthodontics in the General forums; I found this publication doing an internet search. Does anyone have an opinion on its contents? Braces and Brass - ...

I found this publication doing an internet search. Does anyone have an opinion on its contents?

Braces and Brass - Studies for Trumpet and French Horn for players with braces

One of the authors is named Ron Stoneback and is from The University of Sioux Falls at Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He is the father of the Stoneback sisters who form a trumpet trio. All three girls had orthodontics so I think Ron the father would be an expert in the subject.
    Last edited by stchasking; 04-14-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Re: orthodontics

Hey, That's a nice family!

Triple the music and triple the fun for the Stoneback sisters
    Triplets Kristen, Sarah and Mary Stoneback have finished their freshman year as performance majors in the School of Music.
    Sisters Kristin, Mary and Sarah Stoneback have more in common than just completing their freshman year at ASU – they are triplets, play the trumpet and are passionate about their music.
    The 19-year-old sisters took a somewhat circuitous route to the Herberger College School of Music. The journey began in their hometown of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where they were born into a musical family. The family later lived in Dubuque, Iowa, before the sisters went to Michigan to attend the prestigious Interlochen Academy of Arts for their senior year.
    Summer 2000 found the triplets back in their home state, taking a master class at South Dakota State University from renowned musician David Hickman. In addition to his performance reputation, Hickman is an Arizona Regents Professor and Professor of Trumpet in the School of Music.
    "Even though they were high school students, the three girls played for me," recalls Dr. Hickman. "They applied to ASU and I eagerly accepted them. Each has made incredible progress and their trio playing is really cooking! Even though each of them will have her own career as an individual, they can and should keep the trio going all their lives."
    In fact, Dr. Hickman's willingness to teach the sisters as a trio was a major factor in their decision to attend ASU. The Stonebacks were accepted at several other universities and conservatories. "ASU was our top choice because of Professor Hickman and the chance to improve and grow in trio performance," explains Sarah. "It has been a neat experience to study with him, and learn everything we can."
    Since music has always been a part of their lives, the question was not if the Stoneback sisters would play musical instruments, only which ones. When the three were in the fifth grade, they all chose the same instrument, the trumpet. "It is a family tradition, our grandfather played the trumpet and our dad plays the trumpet." notes Mary.
    Due to the financial stress of having three in college at one time, the sisters' parents, Ron and Margie, transferred their professional work here and moved to the Valley along with their daughters. Ron is arranging and writing the music for a Tanzanian hymnal, while Margie is a special education teacher in the Tempe School District.
    "It's a blessing to have them here," says Kristin. "We wanted to stay together as a family to be able to perform with each other and keep our concert ministry going," adds Sarah. Professionally, the parents and their daughters are known as the Stoneback Brass.
    The sisters dress identically on stage and for some special occasions. Seeing them together, however, is a unique experience since Kristin and Sarah are identical, while Mary is their mirror image. Not only do they look alike, they also enjoy each other's company. "Each of us always has two best friends," says Sarah.
    All three have at least one interest other than playing the trumpet. Not surprisingly, their choices remain in the creative realm: Kristin is focused on drawing, Mary is intrigued with black and white photography and Sarah is immersed in journal writing. All three like to run. "Plus, we're all taking 'piano 101,'" Mary confides. | HerbergerCollege | School of Music | Contact Us | ASU Copyright
    Copyright ASU School of Music © 2001 | Photo by Timothy Trumble
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

If they're triplets, how come the one on the left is so much taller than the one on the right?
    (BTW, are those the original SoundSleeves they're using?)
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Forte User

I'm sure it's a fine book, but the contents and sample page don't really talk about anything specific to playing with braces, so it's hard to know what they really say about that aspect of it. It seems like it might be a good trumpet method...braces or not.

Practicing and improving at the trumpet is the same process with or without braces (from my experience, at least). The trouble comes when the braces go on or come off...I'd like to know how they advise going through that change...

Vulgano...obviously they are the same height, but the camera man's left leg was shorter than his right, so the picture came out tilted. Jeez...I gotta explain everything around here!

That is an old bio.
    They are all graduated from Arizona State U. Ron is a trumpet player and taught the girls first then moved them on to Interlochen and David Hickman.

The publication is spacifically for recovering from Orthodontics. I am looking for comments from people who actually own the book and have used it.

According to the Stoneback family two of the girls are identical and one is a mirror image. Since that was written I would think DNA testing would clarify the particulars. Don't ask me how the genetics work. The Mom and Dad know all three were born on the same day from the same Mom.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!

I haven't read the book. None of my kids have read the book. BUT... my eldest daughter plays french horn, took her degree in performance and is now teaching music. She wore braces (upper and lower) for 2 years while a student in high school. One week after getting her braces off she sat 1st in the Provincial Honours Band. As her teacher said when I met him in the hall after their performance at the annual music educators' conference; "Well, that was certainly a non-issue".

She did not use any kind of "aid" but simply gutted it out. She went on to compete at Nationals the next year.

My youngest son wore braces for 3 years; he plays trumpet. It messed him up for a month or two when they came off but he has a very weird setup that I could never figure out; he plays down into the bottom of the cup... the horn is generally tilted at least horizontal if not up from horizontal and his head is sideways... reminds me of a robin listening for bugs in the grass when he plays.

His twin sister also wore braces (thank goodness for company dental plans). The braces did not affect her violin playing at all but did mess around with her when she played tenor sax.

Pianissimo User
    Lansing, MI

I have not read this book, but I have a twin sister that plays clarinet and the competition between us is nuts, I can't imagine being a triplet and playing the SAME instrument, I don't know about them, but if I were one of them the comprtition would be pretty hardcore.
    "Oy with the poodles already!"-Loreli Gilmore, Gilmore Girls

Bach Stradivarius Bb 43
    Bach 5C

Thread Information