Trumpet Discussion Discuss Overblowing in the General forums; I have revently started to record some of my etudes with a semi decent microphone I decided to buy. I ...
    Pianissimo User

I have revently started to record some of my etudes with a semi decent microphone I decided to buy. I have noticed that when I play what I think if soft I get a cleaner tone. Does that simply mean that I was overblowing my notes. I wasn't getting a blair though it just not clean.
    "Pinch harder and use less are I guarantee the high notes will come out."

Provo, UT

Re: Overblowing

Well, I can't really understand what you are saying. Basically, this is what I comprehend: you bought a microphone and have noticed that sometimes it seems like you overblow. Much of this may be due to the microphone, because if it doesn't compress the audio at all, it will always sound like you are blairing. Another part of it may be that when you blow hard the pitch becomes squirrely and uncentered. This is what we call "overblowing." You can play as loud as you want, and if the pitch is centered no one will ever say you are overblowing. Try messing with some of your recording settings. What program do you use? I prefer Audacity because it is very easy to use.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Does your recorder adjust the volume input automatically? If so, all your attacks will be distorted, along with the basic sound. Unless you have a real top-notch recording set-up, it won't be much good for anything more than checking rhythm and pitch.

For sound, get the biggest room you can, play corner to corner and listen to the wall.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend
    Henderson Nv

I am using a perception 200 AKG with a gold plated diaphragm( 200 doll hairs) and setting levels to red on my loudest notes. I tried every other mic out there (like sm58 a vocal mike and sm 57 an instrument mic) . This is a 48 v phantom power mic so you will need a 410 firewire M audio for your computer ( ebay 189.00) ( this interfaces with a computer program ) in which I bought SAW Studio for 300.00. It is the basic version but it sounds alot better than Pro tools to my ears. This is a way to get a really great sound even if it is just to get your sound to where you can hear what you are doing. You will improve with time after listening to yourself.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Don't set to red in the loudest notes. Set to red never, but below red for the loudest. 3 bars below red is a place to start for experimentation.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Believe me, you don't need a microphone to hear if you are overblowing.

Learning to make a believable recording of the trumpet is a full time course of study. My second son is a recording engineer and we have experimented with quite a few things and it is much more than just putting a mic in front of the instrument.

I am sure that your recording is distorted. Either you have the recording volume set too high or you are playing too close to the mic and getting the noises that are just a part of what comes out of your bell.

Like Tom says, NEVER record in the red.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I have never recorded anything so I have no Idea what that all meant...

Say, I would want to record some songs, and want them to sound nice (and assuming when I play, I sound nice), what would I need, and how much would that cost?
    I'd like to be able to edit things like echo and be able to record multiple parts of the same song after eachother and put them together later too.

Thread Information