Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Overtones? in the General forums; Forget about "listening to the overtones". It is almost impossible to listen to our own sounds because the player does ...

Re: Overtones?

Forget about "listening to the overtones". It is almost impossible to listen to our own sounds because the player does not get what comes out of the bell.

Getting a fat sound is most easily accomplished by playing with those better than you. When you play duets with a superior player, all of a sudden things make sense - we don't even need to talk about them.

Sympathetic vibrations with a piano or other resonant instrument only need "loud" to get going. They are no sign of quality.

When more overtones are present, our sound is "brighter". We cannot control which overtones get stronger with our chops. That can only be done with hardware. Our chops when they are well trained and not pinched off, allow "all" the harmonics to flourish.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

No no no, grasshopper .... you must quiet the mind. During the full moon, if you sit on the floor, Indian style, and stare at a photograph of Maynard .... trust me, , overtones up the wazoo.

Just kidding. Once again, the voice of reason brings perspective. Right. Forget the dang overtones (hearing them). go for the big full sounding expression, and they'll be there. That's what faith is for.

Or, you can get your dog to give you some feedback. Is he howling at something you can't hear? Covering his ears with his paws??? OVERTONES!

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

San Pedro

hmmmm .. I normally agree with too much analysis causes paralysis ... and I do agree that you don't hear what the audience hears but I know I feel/hear a difference when the horn is ringing. I bought a GR mouthpiece and the cup is deeper than what I was using... I distinctly hear an increase in my higher pitched overtones... which is not at all what I expected. The GR matches up very well with my Strad..
    Which is why I suggested moving around the airstream .. you can hear/feel a difference when you hit the sweet spot. Yes/No?
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

I noticed overtones the most when I was doing brass quintet playing. When we were really on and in-tune, not only would we hear the notes of the 5 voices/instruments of the brass quintet, but we'd hear additional higher notes in the chord that we weren't being played - usually in rooms with a bit more natural reverb and resonance. Those unplayed but heard tones are overtones - they are present in your sound, but are not really audible as distinctive tones on their own. Horns/players who have a lot of overtones in their sound tend be regarded as bright, brilliant, ringing, etc - it's what makes the sound alive IMO.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information