Trumpet Discussion Discuss Payment for Taps Available in the General forums; I've been gone for a while. I went to Michigan to buy a house for my family and me to ...
    Hudsonville, Michigan

Payment for Taps Available

I've been gone for a while. I went to Michigan to buy a house for my family and me to live in after I retire from the West Point Band. Upon returning I noticed more discussion on performing taps for military funerals. Since I do this for a living, I thought I would chime in on this.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from volunteering to perform taps, but there is money available for doing funerals according to Title 10 of public law. How one "taps" into it is something I have yet to learn. Since I'm on active duty, I'm already paid for performing taps, but when I retire, I'll be seeking out the funds prescribed in Title 10.

When I do retire, I'll post my experience in trying to get this money. For retired military such as myself it is limited to $50 dollars a day (which may mean per funeral- it is possible to do more than one a day). That isn't much but it helps defray expenses at least. I'll check it out down the road. Anyway, here is a snippet of the paragraph from Title 10, Chapter 75, Section 1491, U.S.C.:

(2) The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe annually a flat rate daily stipend for purposes of paragraph (1)(A). Such stipend shall be set at a rate so as to encompass typical costs for transportation and other miscellaneous expenses for persons participating in funeral honors details who are members of the armed forces in a retired status and other persons who are not members of the armed forces or employees of the United States.

If anyone does have experience tracking down this money perhaps they can post.

Master Sgt. Gregory Alley, trumpet section leader, West Point Band
    Gregory Alley, the Tooter Tutor

"...heaven is eating pate de foie gras to the sound of trumpets." Revd. Sydney Smith (1771-1845)

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Re: Payment for Taps Available

Welcome back home to Michigan Master Sgt.

I have connections with a few funeral homes in my area and the going rate they offered me is $100 per funeral.

With apologies to those that do it gratis, I am a musician and this is a paying job.

I also do it gratis for friend's families, but when called by a funreal home it is a paid performance.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

NW Florida

Done over 1000 funerals and most at National Cemeteries. Also did it on Active Duty for over 10 years. I've done it for other services that did not have a bugler and the rate was never less than $100. It's a professional gig and quite reverent.

Alberton, Montana USA

Hello, Rudy

Altho i'm viewed by some as a snot slinging lefty,I get all misty when it comes to military calls.expecialy snare drums.
    I have been told this is a documented mental disease they would probably give me prozac for. but I think this disease I will keep.

thank you for your service.

truly C.Nelson

The perfect man has no self; the holy man has no merit; the sage has no fame.(Chang Tsu)

Banned Pianissimo User
    outside of Philadelphia

well, as much as I'd like to sing the Beatles "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party, So I'll Go...."
    I have some really bad news for trumpeters - indeed buglers across America.

I joined Bugles Across America in '03 and played 7 funerals. I got stiffed for payment on 4 of them and the other 3 I got $75 and only because I dealt directly with a seargant who lived nearby. The state director takes all the paid gigs and farms out the freebies while leading you on to believe that you will get paid. I wrote to Tom Day and asked to be removed. I was indeed removed with no acknowledgement.

BAA is not high on my list of places I would recommend trumpet players to go for paid work.

Thread Information