Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Peashooters. Do they still have use? in the General forums; I have always classified a peashooter as a small bore horn. That's just my opinion....
    Pianissimo User
    Northern Kentucky

Re: Peashooters. Do they still have use?

I have always classified a peashooter as a small bore horn.

That's just my opinion.
    ________________MY COLLECTION________________

1. Olds 10MUMU - piece of CRAP
    2. Strad 37 - second best
    3. Unnamed ancient horn -just for show
    4. Yamaha YTR-01- tied for second best
    5. Getzen 700 Special -My best
    6. King "superior"
    7. Blessing flugel
    8. King mellophone

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I agree with the other comments about the peashooters. My Lemar is evidently a Conn Cavalier stencil, narrow wrap and small bore. It is good shape with good valves. I played in concert band once for fun and it did ok, but doesn't fit the section sound too well.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: Peashooters. Do they still have use?

I've had one pea shooter in my possesion. bought it at a flea market, don't remember the make. when one of my son's asked if I had a horn for him to start on, I shipped it to him. once that phase passed, my ex promptly sold it. he told me that it was somewhat collectable and made some decent money
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

I have had several peashooters mostly Pan American,Continental,Cavalier and a Dupont. I have a Cavalier now. I do not care much for the tone but they are easy to fill. With the correct mouthpiece they are just acceptable. These older horns used a mouthpiece with a deep bowl(big gear). Correct mouthpieces are important,your Bach 7C, for example, will not work acceptably. You will work your butt off trying to blow it in tone,and will not be happy with it. I have not had the opportunity to try a pro level peashooter like a Conn Vocabell,and with the experiences I have had with the lower lines I am too cautious to spend the big bucks on the Vocabell. I like a nice tone better than a loud paint peeler. The M.Dupont I had was a higher quality peashooter than the Conn stencils but it still did not have the tone I like.

Tom Hodges

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Tom, I have a slightly different experience. I have actually found the 7C backbore and cup combination to be more versatile than a person can expect.

I agree that the Cavalier that I had was significant crap.

I have two narrow-wrap horns; a 1939 Buescher Aristocrat, as previously illustrated, and also a Supertone Bandmaster from about 1937, sold by Sears.

The Aristocrat plays like any good trumpet of that era. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

The Supertone Bandmaster doesn't play all that well with the modern mouthpieces. However, I recently acquired a very old Parduba 5; I believe that this mouthpiece was the basis of the Harry James version of later years, as Parduba made his pieces deeper with a different backbore.

With this one specific Parduba piece, the Supertone Bandmaster opens up like you would not believe and instead of stuffy it plays really well with a lovely tone.

In fact, I think I will play it for our next community band rehearsal.

Just because it has a narrow wrap doesn't mean it's crap. Sure, it was a vogue for a short while, but you can still get some good horns that are fun to play if you pay attention.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Santa Cruz County, CA

The narrow-wrap Conn Vocabell 40B trumpet had a medium-large (.458") bore. The narrow-wrap Vocabell 40A cornet had a large (.467") bore. I call 'em pea shooters, based on the wrap. After all, do we call Connstellation trumpets "pea shooters" just because they have a .438" bore?
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information