Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pedal tones in the General forums; Is it still felt that there is value in practising pedal tones ala Gordons books? or would that make the ...
    Pianissimo User

Pedal tones

Is it still felt that there is value in practising pedal tones ala Gordons books? or would that make the appeture too wide???

Bostonish & San Francisco

Re: Pedal tones

I don't know the gordon books,
    but i've definitely had some success with them, they also really help as a cool down exercise after a long day of playing
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

There is always value in practicing pedal tones

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Montreal Qc Canada

For sure! I studied with a Claude Gordon student and went through the entire process . Pedal tones were just ONE part of it! Clarke, Arban's, St-Jacombe, playing in orchestra, jazz band, quintet etc.... are part of the learning curve. For me using the Gordon approach of practising was the most beneficial in my university days. Today I use all my knowledge to get things done. Study with a qualified teacher and attend as many live concerts or music camps, conferences etc... and listen to everything. Today is easy since info is readily available.Do check out Claude Gordon on Youtube! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim miller View Post
    Is it still felt that there is value in practising pedal tones ala Gordons books? or would that make the appeture too wide???
    Celebration Bflat by Flip Oakes
    Early Yamaha Flugel prototype(Guido Basso)
    GR and Stork mouthpieces

I wish people would get this aperature stuff out of their brains - and posts.

The lips do not function like a water faucet, they function like a switch. The function of the pedal tones is to get the muscles that control lip tension (and ultimately the power of the switch) in shape as well as promoting good circulation of blood through the complete embouchure. In addition, one becomes immediately aware of any pressure issues. The "air" in the sound is not caused by an "open" aperature, the same goes for lacking high range. That is caused by the embouchure switch not being pliable yet strong enough.

It is amazing how these myths just will not go away. For any of you that have electronics 101, embouchure is AC not DC. Sound vibration (even air in the sound) in the trumpet is a 2 way street. The air particles that we blow into the horn are not the ones that project and bounce of of the back wall. The sound waves travel MUCH faster than we could ever blow. Those waves travel into the room and back into the horn too. That is why we play differently in big and small room, reverberant and dry acoustics. The sound waves even help support the chops and tone.

Pedal tones in reasonable proportions, in a good daily routine are very helpful for building and maintaining chops.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User

This is what I think, Jim:

I think that pedal tones should be considered as "the lower limits that you try to reach without changing anything in your embouchure".
    This means: it´s an ok exercise to try to reach them as long as your embouchure is kept intact, but it´s a worthless exercise if you start changing anything when trying to reach them!
    So, the important thing isn´t to actually reach them but instead to try to extend your range downwards until you can, always with the same embouchure in all registers.
    By going from a higher tone downwards to a pedal AND BACK you can ensure that you haven´t lost the ability to return to the higher tones, and that your embouchure still is the same as when you started.

Thread Information