Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree22Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pencil Excercise/Mouthpiece Exercise in the General forums; Hi rowuk, I agree with you 99.99% on post 19 and it's all good stuff if a person is willing ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Re: Pencil Excercise/Mouthpiece Exercise

Hi rowuk,
    I agree with you 99.99% on post 19 and it's all good stuff if a person is willing to read and apply. Many feel that the air is what makes the note high and by doing weird lip exercises, situps and developing a six pack abs, they will have the power to force the air to stratosphereic heights. That's incorrect thinking. If memory serves me correctly, I think we're talking a sort of Bernolli(sp) Principle. While trumpet playing involves more than one thing, when it comes to higher or lower on the register, it's the size of the hole that makes the difference.
    You stated:"There is no such thing as "fast air."
    Here's what works for me. Trying to force the air via the abdomen muscles does not make me go higher in the register. The size I make the aperture pretty much determines that. However, a little force "just a smidgin'" and I can have a compressed sound in the upper register. Unfortunately, most trumpet players that dabble in the upper register use compression every time to play. As a result, they "think" that this is a fundimental part to getting into the upper register. As a result, they do situps and exercises for brute strength instead of the common exercises that we all know that are time tested to extend our range. This type of thinking while understandable, is flawed. Making the air go faster via compression creates a loud, sharp hot sound aka Maynard, Arturo, Doc. This is a wonderful sound in the right context and these guys know how to use both compressed and normal upper range work. There are people that play in the upper register and are not known for their compressed sound such as Alison Balsom and Rafael Mendez. Rest assured, they can do both too! So what have I learned? There are at least two ways to make notes in the upper register sound and neither way has to do with situps or the exercises described by the original poster.
    Hope this helps

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    gmonady, you do realize I was being sarcastic, right?

Regarding dangling the mouthpiece, if Bud Brisbois was doing it, it isn't exactly a new concept considering he has been dead since 1978.
    Well I do now. No fair playing April Fools on an old man a couple days before the actual event.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

New York State USA

Wow -- Bigswingface --- I read most of the responses ------ so what could I add? (((if you are going to use a mouthpiece dangling from your lips -- then I will recommend a low brass piece, like a trombone, or tuba))) ---- realistically, the most beneficial exercises for me to find a higher range was long tones, and gradually play up a note or two, when I wasn't forcing it (((sure, I forced a lot of notes, sometimes catch myself doing it again and again, when I get tired))) ---- light pressure on the lips (lots of air, however you think that is) -- and of course a small aperture for higher notes. -------------------- actually play the trumpet, that is the most beneficial exercise. ----------------------------------- on a side note, doubling on the trombone has helped me tremendously with air support for the trumpet, NOPE, I don't know if it is faster, slower, fatter, more, or less air ---- I do know, if you remain relaxed when playing, and have enough air, and a small aperture, you can play high notes --------------------- and that's all I know!!!!
    redintheface likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information