Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Perfect pitch and transposing instruments in the General forums; There are a lot of famous classical composers in that list of people with perfect pitch .... Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, ...

Re: Perfect pitch and transposing instruments

There are a lot of famous classical composers in that list of people with perfect pitch .... Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Bartok, Motzart, Rimsky-Korsakov. That seems like a significant pattern.

However, the people hosting the list are selling a course to TEACH you perfect pitch. I thought that you couldn't learn perfect pitch, but just either had it or not???

Turtle
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

try keeping time with your left foot. that activates a side of the brain not normally used for playing
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by coolerdave View Post
    side note: my brother has been blind from birth
    Cooler Dave, it may be inappropriate to ask, but does he have any musical skills and has he learned to read Braille?

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
    There are a lot of famous classical composers in that list of people with perfect pitch .... Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Bartok, Motzart, Rimsky-Korsakov. That seems like a significant pattern.

However, the people hosting the list are selling a course to TEACH you perfect pitch. I thought that you couldn't learn perfect pitch, but just either had it or not???
    Turtle
    Turtle, I really don't know whether one can learn "perfect pitch" but I do think the vocalists mentioned (and others) have learned sufficiently to stay in tune with the instrumental music supporting them and well enough to sing a capella those songs they've memorized.

I once heard a demonstration of an instrumentalist who played songs in every key and would change the tempos etc. to many rhythms. It was very impressive, but some just didn't click with what I was familiar with. Dixie was composed by Walter Donaldson in C Major, but I prefer to play it in D Major on my Bb trumpet. Works for me!

Forte User

Dixie was composed by Walter Donaldson in C Major, but I prefer to play it in D Major on my Bb trumpet. Works for me!
    If you are really doing that then you actually are playing it in concert C major, that how it will sound to the listener.
    Philippe.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by Phil986 View Post
    If you are really doing that then you actually are playing it in concert C major, that how it will sound to the listener.
    No, when I cite key signatures I always do so in concert key, in this instance D Major for the Bb trumpet would be 4 sharps as in appearance only would look like E Major in concert key. Too, of course, I'm playing 2 semi-tones higher than that for a C instrument that if they were to accompany me would also have to play in D Major with two sharps. It's just something I learned when the key signature is called from the conductor's podium. I just think Dixie has more "snap" and brilliance played higher and with a faster tempo. If a conductor wanted to change key signature, do you think he/she would tell each instrument type (Bb, C, D, Eb, F, and BBb) how they should play it. Ain't gonna happen in my world!

However, I made a big boo boo! The song I referred to is NOT Dixie, but is Carolina in the Mornin'. Walter Donaldson was a pianist and indoctrinated into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Dixie is attributed to Daniel Emmett, but has many challenges as to origin. Oops, such happens when you bring a Yankee to the the South (me).

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lee View Post
    Turtle, I really don't know whether one can learn "perfect pitch" but I do think the vocalists mentioned (and others) have learned sufficiently to stay in tune with the instrumental music supporting them and well enough to sing a capella those songs they've memorized.
    It may not be possible to learn perfect pitch. However, over time, you might become familiar enough with certain pitches that they become internalized. As an example, my college Band Director said he could pretty consistently sing a Db and Bb, two pitches which are quite common in Band literature.
    "First Trumpets. Don't add notes above what's written!"
    --Former Cal Band Director Bob Briggs, rehearsing the final chord of Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information