Trumpet Discussion Discuss Phoenix Music Scene in the General forums; So I'm moving to Glendale, AZ (just west of Phoenix) from New Jersey for a Music teaching job. Anyone have ...
    New Friend
    soon to be in Arizona

Phoenix Music Scene

So I'm moving to Glendale, AZ (just west of Phoenix) from New Jersey for a Music teaching job. Anyone have any advice for;

1) Living in AZ, I know to drink lots of water and watch out for rattle-snakes and scorpions

2) What live music they have: festivals, outdoor arenas (similar to the Mann Center in Philly), Jazz clubs, Large groups other than the Phoenix Symphony, etc?

3) Making new contacts for gigs in an area where I have no contacts. (I've never relocated cross country before)

4) Teaching general music in grades 4-8

5) Music stores (I think Jack Kanstul's store is South of Phoenix)

Any advice in general would be great!

Re: Phoenix Music Scene

I've been in Phoenix since 1994. Originally from the DC area.

This is a tough time of the year to be moving to Phoenix. It won't get nice again until mid September. Don't buy into the "it's a dry heat" BS... believe me, when it's 115+ it's HOT, period.

Glendale is growing very quickly (as is all of Phoenix). Farms are being developed etc... Very few Citrus orchards left. A bit sad, but it's progress.

I'm a PT trumpet player now, but I do have some good contacts for you if you are looking for commercial work. There isn't much... a few dinner theaters and such. We do have some very talented trumpet players here. With ASU and Hickman being just down the street and all.

After you get settled down you'll enjoy living here. When it rains you party! People will sit in their garages with the door open to enjoy the rain...

Contact me when you get into town, or before ... if you need advise on housing etc.

Welcome to the desert! Say good -bye to cloudy NJ skies...

Re: Phoenix Music Scene

You Should Come To Tucson For Music Amazing Trumpet Players In The Are With The U Of A Here And All And We Have 3 Jazz Clubs

Thread Information