Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Physics of Trumpet Design in the General forums; Newbie. First post. I spent a few minutes looking for a similar thread and I didn't find it so I ...
    New Friend

Physics of Trumpet Design

Newbie. First post. I spent a few minutes looking for a similar thread and I didn't find it so I am posting this.

I am looking for some resources on the general physics of trumpet design - I heard that there were a few papers in the International Trumpet Guild journal.  Are there?

I am curious to see the data on how lacquer/silver/gold or the chemical make-up of the brass affects the tone of a horn.

Can someone point me in the direction of some solid data?

Dayvoe in Pittsburgh

Bordeaux, France.
    Mikel Dupac / Lawler C7-3R-1A + Prana B6S1R
    Olds Super Bb 1962 / Carol Brass Dizzy pocket
    Conn New Wonder cornet 1917 / Many others...
    Music is the healing force of the Universe! A. Ayler

Re: Physics of Trumpet Design

Read the thread at the top of this section "How a Trumpet works". It is ALL in there! Plenty of links and breakdown on the technical.

Forget about data on how lacquer/gold and silver affect the tone - there isn't anything decent - because there is essentially nothing measurable. I personally think that has to do with where we measure. Out in front of the horn, there is really nothing measurable. That makes sense too. At the players ears, its a different story because we hear a mix of what is reflected from the stand and walls - but also what "leaks" through the bell when it "rings". I would expect an extremely small but still with enough resolution, measurable difference. That being said, one meal with no brushed teeth would probably make more difference as would gripping the valves tightly.........

As far as the type of brass, it depends. We can temper or anneal brass from soft to hard, we can vary the thickness, use a one or two piece design, move braces, change the shape, bend with lead, pitch or ice and hundreds of other things that all affect the tone. There really is no formula, just artisans that put the puzzle together in various ways to get a balanced product. Read the thread, then you will have tons of stuff explained and maybe some "new questions".
    trumpetsplus and acarcido like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information