Trumpet Discussion Discuss Picking audition pieces... in the General forums; Hello all, So for my university auditions I need to have two contrasting pieces of music, so I think I ...
    New Friend

Picking audition pieces...

Hello all,

So for my university auditions I need to have two contrasting pieces of music, so I think I want to do Haydn Concerto 2nd movement for my 'slow' piece. But I still need some sort of a fast piece. I'm thinking Hummel 1st movement. Any suggestions?

PS: My auditions are in 3-4 months, so I need to pick something up fast, I have begun lessons already and I will talk to my trumpet teacher about other pieces I can learn.

Saint Paul, MN

Re: Picking audition pieces...

If you are doing Haydn 2nd Movement for one piece I would not do the Hummel first movement as the contrasting piece. But rather something along the lines of a Paris Conservatory Solo (Bozza, Ropartz, Balay etc) or the first movement of the Kennen, Stevens or maybe 3rd movement of the Pilss. One could even do a Clarke or Arban solo or even one of the Fitzgerald Baroque Transcriptions if done well woudl work too.

Having said that I would prefer to hear whole pieces rather then just one movement of two different concertos/sonatas.

This is just my opnion though.
    Per aspera ad astra

Re: Picking audition pieces...

the pieces that you choose should advertise YOUR strengths. We do not have a clear picture if you have a quick light tongue (great for the french repertoire), a huge sound, great range or anything else. Picking roulette style probably will give you roulette results.
    The requirement for 2 contrasting pieces means exactly that - Haydn and Hummel are stylistically too close to one another. The Haydn and something contemporary would probably increase your chances. What pieces have you played already (competition, recital, etc.)? That may be a better place to start!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information