Trumpet Discussion Discuss Picking it up again in the General forums; Well I just decided to start playing trumpet again. I played from 5th grade through 10th grade when I moved ...
    New Friend

Picking it up again

Well I just decided to start playing trumpet again. I played from 5th grade through 10th grade when I moved on to French Horn. I stoped in 11th grade and started again on the French Horn when I joined the military. I haven't played at all in about 5 yrs. I recently joined the base honor guard and wanted to start playing again because I heard the recording we use at the funerals to play Taps. I think it is so important to have someone really playing Taps because it is such a important ceremony and Taps can only come from the heart. Well, the problem I'm having is if I try to play anything above high C or play for a period of time it seems like I loose pressure in my mouth and the air just starts to escape through my sinus'. It makes this sound kinda like when you blow your nose. I was wondering if this is normal and has this happened to anyone else and is it going to go away as I get back into playing?

Thanks and it feels great to have a horn in my hands again

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    I can't answer your questions about air leaking about... (although I suspect you're trying to play too high too soon into your comeback...welcome back, by the way).

For playing Taps, there is an organization called "Bugles Across America" which you would be recommended to seek out; doubtless many of the members here are members of that group and will encourage you along the road. This group was formed for the purpose of providing live buglers at the funeral services "in lieu" of them having to use the recording (or even the "fake" trumpets) so you're definitely "at the right place at the right time".

Good luck.

Utimate User

What you described is a very common thing and the "cure" is to be aware of it and approach the upper register quietly for a while until you reacquaint yourself with that territory for a while. Then you can try crescendos and diminuendos until all all these internal flaps and things become accustomed to the inevitable back presure that can accompany the upper register at a louder dynamic.

It's a typical thing to have happen when you've been away from the horn for a while. You have an expectation but your body isn't quite ready for it. It'll come back in plenty of time, just don't push it and accept a little more each day.

Thread Information