Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pieces I'd like to play this year. in the General forums; So I posted this on my highschools band message board. These are all the pieces that I really want to ...
    Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ

Pieces I'd like to play this year.

So I posted this on my highschools band message board. These are all the pieces that I really want to play this year. So I thought I'd share my thoughts with all you guys...

In no particular order:

*Blue Shades (Frank Ticheli)
    Blue Shades was commissioned in 1997 by a consortium of thirty American wind bands under the auspices of the Worldwide Concurrent Premieres and Commissioning Fund; Grade 5; Duration 10 minutes.

*Fanfare and Capriccio (James Barnes)
    Written in 1998 for trumpet virtuoso Allen Vizzutti. Fanfare and Capriccio was premiered in April 1999 by Vizzutti with the KU Concert Band, the composer conducting; Grade: Tp.6/Bd.4; Duration 7 minutes

*Sinfonia XXI (Timothy Broege)
    Commissioned in 1983 by Jack Stamp for the Keystone Wind Ensemble; Premiered 2001 Denton, Texas; Jack Stamp, conductor; Grade 6; Duration 20 minutes.

*Tribute for symphonic band (Mark Camphouse)
    Commissionedin 2001 by The United States Army Band, Colonel Eugene W. Allen, leader and commander. Runner-up, 1986 American Bandmasters Association Ostwald Award; Grade 5; Duration 6 minutes.

*In the Spring At the Time When Kinds Go Off to War (David Holsinger)
    Grade 6; Duration 11:42 minutes.

*Concerto for Wind Ensemble (Karel Husa)
    Commissioned in 1982 by Michigan State University Wind Symphony. Premiered by Michigan State University WInd Symphony, East Lansing, MI, the composer conducting, December 3, 1982; Grade 6; Duration 22 minutes.

*Fantasia in G (Timothy Mahr)
    Premiered January 25 1983 by the St. Olaf Band, Timothy Mahr, conductor, Boe Memorial Chapel, St. Olaf College, Northfield Minnesota; Grade 6; Duration 12 minutes.

*Escapade (Jack Stamp)
    2000; commissioned by the United States Air Force Band, Col. Lowell E. Graham, conductor; Premiere Febuary, 2001 by the United States Air Force Band at the CBDNA National Conference; Grade 5; Duration 8 minutes

I guess I'm more of a contemporary kinda guy since none of these pieces were written befor 1980. Haha.

Opinions anyone?
    -David Jacques

New Friend
    I know Blue Shades is a good choice since we played it last year, although your band will need it's stuff together to play it correctly (and a good clarinetist). I don't know any of the other ones really well, although if you're looking into a James Barnes piece I might suggest the "Fantasy Variations on a theme by Paganini" which is a great showcase piece for all section, and the trumpet parts are all rather great.
    All the best,
    If you're going to make a mistake, go big.

Thread Information