Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pilczuk leadpipe size/critical? in the General forums; I am thinking of installing a pilczuk leadpipe, #45/50 which has a large end diameter of approximately .433 Inches. I ...

Pilczuk leadpipe size/critical?

I am thinking of installing a pilczuk leadpipe, #45/50 which has a large end diameter of approximately .433 Inches. I plan to install this pipe into an old Tonk trumpet but the pipe that this will be soldered into is .482 inches, inside diameter. Anyone got an "expert opinion on this installation? I have no problem creating a shim for the fit so that it will be tight before soldering. I appreciate your time and help. Jack

Re: Pilczuk leadpipe size/critical?

Pilczuk didn't design the pipe for that horn, so there is no way that the results can be predictable. I don't think that you need a shim. Solder is enough. The step could cause some intonation issues.

An artisan matches all of the characteristics of the horn to get a well balanced complete design. Changing one of the major factors like leadpipe will for sure change that balance. I would suspect that the sound changes and the intonation gets worse. Doing it is the only way that you will know for sure.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Santa Cruz County, CA

Re: Pilczuk leadpipe size/critical?

I have two trumpets with Pilczuk leadpipes. In both instances, I chose the current leadpipe after "auditioning" four or five Pilczuk pipes on both trumpets. The two leadpipes I selected were clearly better than the other ones. Some of them were downright lousy, at least on the particular trumpets I was trying them on.

Good luck.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Thread Information