Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Vulgano Brother
  • 3 Post By Dale Proctor
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pimple on my lip in the General forums; It's just a small one, but I'm scared to play because of it, as I damaged my lips once by ...

Pimple on my lip

It's just a small one, but I'm scared to play because of it, as I damaged my lips once by playing until the pimple popped and bled.

Is there any way to make it go away faster? Anything better than soap? I'm glad I don't have a gig, but I'm still frustrated because I had a zit on my lip like 3 weeks ago, and now I have another one.

Or is there a way to prevent these pimples? I wash my face every day. Maybe I just ought to clean my lips really well every day...

Re: Pimple on my lip

Only your doctor can tell you if the pimple is a result of hygiene, emotions, hormones or diet. The cure depends on the disease. In every case, infections are the result of some stimuli. I have had a couple of students that did not get long with a silver plated mouthpiece. We switched to a gold plated rim, and the pimple issue disappeared. The same holds true for mouthpieces with worn plating. Brass can cause issues. Stainless steel mouthpieces can be problematic due to traces of nickel.

A little bit of detective work is required here. Only change one thing at a time. Although I don't recommend it for others. I get relief by early popping of the pimples with a sterile needle. I have never had good luck with topological antibiotics.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User

Don't worry - in another 5 years you won't get as many pimples. Then it's another 35-40 before they go away altogether. In the meantime look thoroughly for other ways to deal with acne, and do whatever seems to work; there are a lot of ways to overcome the problem that just weren't available when I was young. It's usually not recommended to pop 'em, but that always worked best for me. Your experience may differ. Good luck!
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Northern California

I open them with a sterile needle then let them drain. I might try to express the purulent material, but very, very gently (you can do more damage (bruising) with your fingers than the actual pimple. Anyway, after that I keep it painted with iodine (that's right, the ouchie orange/red stuff) until it has dried out. Of course, you don't want to touch the site with dirty fingers, use a sterile 4X4 gauze pad over your fingers--after you have washed your hands very well with very hot water for a very long time. Anyway, that's what works for me.
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (71) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I used to alternate heat and cold on the pimple while watching TV. This seemed to "ripen" the pimple, making for a satisfying "pop." Not enough to hit the mirror, but enough to get the junk out.

Be sure to keep your mouthpiece clean, as well.

For what it is worth, pimples don't hurt nearly as much as getting a mustache hair trapped under the rim!
    tobylou8 likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Heart of Dixie

Nothing like a ripe pimple splattering on the mirror...
    richtom, tobylou8 and Yamypappy like this.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

+1 on the mustache hair,VB
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Thanks for the tips.

For what it is worth, pimples don't hurt nearly as much as getting a mustache hair trapped under the rim!
    Ouch, I hope it never happens to anyone in the middle of a solo. o_O

Thread Information